Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are potatoes 'bad'? page

ar0e is offline Member

Are potatoes 'bad'?

Primal Fuel
    I've got my friend interested in going Primal, but he (of course!) doesn't think he will be able to live without eating grains because he is a runner. He is fit, but doesn't have much muscle definition and has gotten a little flabby this summer, which is ironic since he follows a CW diet . He has run a few marathons last year, and he enjoys running long distances, however, his knees often ache and he really doesn't do any strength training. He thinks a great post run food is a PB&J on wheat washed down with a big ole glass of chocolate cow's milk. I've told him that he would need to cut back on the running and replace it with strength training, but would it be ok to just tell him he can eat like 1 potato a day? He says he doesn't like sweet potatoes, but I think he has just never had them prepared in a good way. How could he keep his carb count in the 75g to 150g range if he is not a big fan of fruits and veggies?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    potatoes are perfectly okay.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    potatoes are perfectly okay.
    Unless you're sensitive to nightshades. Most aren't. I eat lots of spuds. Compared to grain, they're health food.

Gordo

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I think Mark still considers them marginal food to be eaten once in a while or after extra heavy workouts. But Primal folks seem to have voted with their forks to accept potatoes. i eat them daily. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Here's how to find out if potatoes are good or bad for you: How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't think they are the healthiest food you can eat every day (not nutritious), but I do think they are fine and I eat them pretty often.

Potatoes may be one of the foods that strict paleo "overreacts" against - sweet potatoes are ok, tomatoes are ok - why not white potatoes? It's kind of random.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    But they are nutritious, look at that, Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potato, flesh and skin, raw nutritiondata tends to have lower values than the other sites too. I eat twice that every day. Look at all of those minerals.

They're not as nutritionally dense as organ meats and greens but they aren't a useless food by a longshot.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    I think by avoiding potatoes, you avoid a lot of potato products fried in unhealthy vegetables oils. If only chips were fried in tallow, like the good old days.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

sweetp is offline Junior Member
    What about squash? I am not a huge fan of potatoes but I really like kombucha squash and pumpkin?
    what is considered more nutritious for PB - squash or potatoes?
    PS not trying to hijack the OP but just curious....

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Squash is perfectly fine by anyone's definition.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast