Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Fitness for Seniors page

Gene Belmont is offline Junior Member

Primal Fitness for Seniors

Primal Fuel
    Hi All
    Have enjoyed all the posts, but haven't seen much directed at Seniors ... I mean folks over 75.
    I've done weight training intermittently for most of my adult life, but have had an off period for the last several years.
    I'm 79,weigh 220 and am 5'11" tall. I still have a fair amount of muscle mass left, but have developed the flappy flabbys on arms and gut. I'd like to lose couple inches on waist and tone up a bit. I know the reality is that I'll probably never get back a 6 pack or bench press 275 again ... don't want to, even. Way too much work.
    Food intake is not too much of a problem. I've cut most of the carbs out (except a few tortillas and low consumption of pinto beans. Did I say I was a transplant to Hawaii from NEW MEXICO. I have to have my red or green chile fix almost daily). Three eggs and papaya for breakfast, some kind of green salad and meat for other meals.
    Biggest problem: I hate walking, let alone running. Will walk a long distance if I really have to, but I'm a grump about it.
    Anyway, any older seniors out there with ideas?

Keep up the good work, Mark.
    Aloha a hui hou

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    spin bike? I also like my resistance band.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

peril is offline Senior Member
    Walk! Enjoy the grumble
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    TRX. Totally scalable. Started doing this at my Crossfit and love it.
    TRX Suspension Training: The Ultimate Bodyweight Training | TRX

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Gene

I'm 68. I have to have a few tortillas and some beans every week. They haven't hurt me so far as I can tell.

I get some of my exercise in the pool Don't know if that is an option. You don't have to get a whole lot of exercise. But you do need the minimum.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Belmont View Post
    Hi All
    Have enjoyed all the posts, but haven't seen much directed at Seniors ... I mean folks over 75.
    I've done weight training intermittently for most of my adult life, but have had an off period for the last several years.
    I'm 79,weigh 220 and am 5'11" tall. I still have a fair amount of muscle mass left...
    BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage

josephrettig2012 is offline Junior Member
    I am also now liking resistance band.Its really wonderful.

DanielP is offline Junior Member
    I'm fifty-eight. I do a half-hour weight-lifting routine twice a week (grumblingly at first, but I'm always glad at the end. I push to near failure, not complete failure) which keeps me a fair shape appearance-wise and helps me enjoy bicycling, swimming, skiing and hiking. I don't do any cardio work (hate it, become murderous when contemplating) aside from what I get from those activities. I think weight training is key to staying physically active and competent in sports as we age. I pretty much following the dietary guidelines of primal.

This link offers an interesting view of what a sedentary life for seniors means in terms of muscle mass.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Cellercise is one way I work on:
    Law #3: Move Frequently at a Slow Pace strengthens the cardiovascular and immune systems, promotes efficient fat metabolism and gives you a strong base to handle more intense workouts.

sandersmyrtle is offline Junior Member
    Hi there, due to my busy schedule i dont have the time to visit gym but indeed i will get benefit from this site as well as this thread thanks for starting this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast