Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best excercises to achieve endorphin highs? page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I see exercising as something I have to do to stay healthy, not as a source of enjoyable fun.

I have friends who get a lot of physical pleasure out of exercising (which I would attribute to endorphins), but that has never happened to me. I usually have to force myself into it.

Does any of you guys know of any sports which are particularly effective in promoting endorphin highs?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

Well there is.... oh, I guess you mean outside the bedroom?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

chaosthetic Guest

Dance. By far and wide, the most intense endorphin highs...

deepthought is offline Junior Member

Sorry. I'm one of the guy's enjoying it!

Tabata sprints last night, felt like "the king of the world"

I've been reading a bit and it would seem that endorphin release is linked to low levels of pain and physical stimulation that last for over 30 minutes (Tarlach you seem to be having a lot of fun in there).

It would appear that the release of endorphins comes to aid the subject involved in continuous and strenuous exercising (long prey chase, escaping from a predator?)

The above being said, it makes sense to see why eating spicy food, or receiving acupuncture might trigger endorphins as well.

And this might also explain the "spiritual" highs in yoga. If you traction a set of tendons for a long time through strange positions while feeling pain, you'll very likely get your endorphins shot.

Conclusions:

- anything that gives you suffering and pain for prolonged periods of time will very likely result in an endorphin high.

- yoga masters are akwardly flexible as a result of perpetually exercising their endorphin gluttony.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Graeme is offline Junior Member

I find anything that allows you to feel a real sense of achievement. such as 100 burpees for time.

LabRat Guest

Whether or not you get a real felt endorphin response seems to be variable from person to person. My uncle and some of my cousins- all lanky ectomorphs, and I don't think that's a coincidence- get a high off running that they love, but all I get is a general sense of hating the world and everything in it. I do plenty of intense stuff, but I don't so much get a high as a satisfying sense of accomplishment out of it. And yeah, I have to force myself into it and hang on to the knowledge of how much better I feel when regularly exercising in order to keep motivated.

My endorphines aren't broken, though- stick me in the tattoo chair long enough on a sensitive enough area and I might as well be drunk. My body's just stingy about releasing them.

jessher is offline Junior Member

I am a former endurance runner and triathlete so I am pretty familiar with endorphins. What gives me the most enjoyable feeling post-workout is a good kettlebell session, hands down. Not running or riding my bike or swimming or HIIT. When I am done with a kettlebell workout, I want to go out and conquer the WORLD. I often come home after kettlebell class and have to go for a run because I have so much energy!

62shelby Guest

@SerialSinner, "anyone that does yoga and feels pain is frankly doing it wrong", to paraphrase David Williams, my teacher and the man that brought Ashtanga to North America. The natural high you might be referring to is pranayama, or breathe control, its evil twin would be for example auto erotic asphyxiation. I have practiced it, the former not the latter , and it is eurphoria making. Physical yoga or asana practice is just one part of yoga on a path, it is to prepare the body for sitting so that we might meditate for longer periods without being aware of aches and pains and to focus with a clearer mind. Forcing the body into poses that it isnt ready for is completely unacceptable.

PrimalCon New York

Shelby thats very interesting. I did a quick check online and couldn't find any neurological explanation for the G-rated meditation high. I'm sure it's there somewhere though.

But what I wonder is, if the whole high comes from breathing alone, then why the need to adopt awkward positions while doing it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast