Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice Weight Training for 50-Something + Women page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Novice Weight Training for 50-Something + Women

Shop Now
    My doctor recommended weight training to correct bone density issues. I find the whole arena of weights and macho gyms intimidating and wonder what is the simplest way to get into the zen of it? I got halfway through Body for Life by Bill Phillips and am not feeling it! The tone was too rah, rah for me and looking at the equipment and exercises really turns me off.

Is Curves routine adequate for resistance training for my purposes?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't know anything about Curves, and was really just bumping this back to the top because I'm curious about others' experiences. I'm just starting to work with resistance bands right now (in addition to things like planks) because I walk a ton and don't feel like going to the gym after work.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Calibunny is offline Member
    The only reason i go to my gym is to take a class they have, called Group Power (it used to be called Body Pump). It's a high energy weight lifting class, where you workout your whole body in one hour. This totally works for me, since i used to get bored with traditional weight lifting. I needed the structure of a class to do the workout. I really love it, since it forces me to keep going and keep up with the rest of the class. The class has all ages, men and women. There is even a kick-ass 80 year old lady who puts some of the younger people to shame!

FYI, I'm 50 yrs old, and I can feel a BIG difference since I re-joined my gym and started taking this class. I go on tues, thurs, and saturdays. I also hike, ride my bike, or just walk on alternate days.

You might want to see if there is a local gym that has a similar class? That Kettleball thing looks interesting, but they dont offer that at my gym.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I do the PB Fitness Bodyweight workouts at home. Free .pdf file at the top of the Fitness forum.

I'm 48 and in the best shape of my life!

DeeP is offline Junior Member
    Try Rachel Cosgrove's "The Female Body Breakthrough". The tone may be rah rah (I honestly can't remember), but she starts with workouts that address the weaknesses that most women have. It's a series of workouts that you progress through as you get stronger. Gym membership required.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    My doctor recommended weight training to correct bone density issues. I find the whole arena of weights and macho gyms intimidating...
    Since your in the Atlanta area: East Cobb Exercise Excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Since your in the Atlanta area: East Cobb Exercise Excellence.
    I live in Midtown, I guess I'll check out a couple of the nearby gyms and revisit Primal Blueprint Fitness. Since I posted this I came across a review of Curves by a physical therapist and they were not too hot on it for a number of reasons.

Violette is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    My doctor recommended weight training to correct bone density issues. I find the whole arena of weights and macho gyms intimidating and wonder what is the simplest way to get into the zen of it? I got halfway through Body for Life by Bill Phillips and am not feeling it! The tone was too rah, rah for me and looking at the equipment and exercises really turns me off.

Is Curves routine adequate for resistance training for my purposes?
    I can just tell you what I've heard about curves and that is that they hurry you around the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Violette View Post
    I can just tell you what I've heard about curves and that is that they hurry you around the circuit.
    That part is not true you go through the circuit at your own pace. I belonged to a Cures knock-off a couple of years ago and loved it until they went out of business. I'm just not sure whether the actual exercises are considered good resistance training by today 's standards. I loved the non-intimidating all-female sense of the place. Very novice- friendly.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i went to a free visitor pass to curves with my sister since she was a member, unless things have changed in the last few years you are rushed through each station every minute

it's essentially cardio circuit training unless you have zero muscle tone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast