Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calories page

amy76 is offline Junior Member

Calories

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello~ I am new to Primal eating and need a little help... I am under the impression that you don't need to worry about calories. How do you know you are not overeating/consuming too many calories? I want to loose weight and want to make sure I am burning enough to actually accomplish weight loss.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I can only speak for myself, but I've been losing on about 1600 cals per day. There are so many variables that counting calories is really not an ideal way to go about losing weight - height, muscle mass, activity level, hormonal condition, previous weight loss activities...

Your best bet is to post your stats for us and a sample meal plan for critique. Usually people new to the PB go way too heavy on nuts and full-fat dairy and wonder why they aren't losing, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Good luck though! And welcome
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thanks for the info! So my stats meaning height and weight? Ugh ;( not so excited to do that. But if that's what you think I should do...I will. I am also under the impression we should not be eating a ton of dairy, is that right? I have to admit that Primal eating goes against everything my brain knows for weight loss however after reading the book it does make perfect sense to me. I am also trying to get my hubby on board

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    It's tough to over eat if your sticking to meat, veggies and good fats. It's the fruit, coconut, nuts/seeds and starchy carbs that rack up the calories.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    It's tough to over eat if your sticking to meat, veggies and good fats. It's the fruit, coconut, nuts/seeds and starchy carbs that rack up the calories.
    +1 Especially if your veggies are the leafy green variety and you don't go overboard & start chugging down coconut oil!

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    If you want to count calories you can - some people do, but more just as a guide to see where they are. Lots of people find they are hungry on a lot less calories when eating primal. That certainly happened to me.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amy76 View Post
    How do you know you are not overeating/consuming too many calories?
    Measure your body composition.

Quote Originally Posted by amy76 View Post
    I want to loose weight and want to make sure I am burning enough to actually accomplish weight loss.
    Are you trying to lose fat or lean?

Thanks everyone for the helpful info!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    When I eat primal foods and stay focused on the basics, I am able to trust my appetite as a guide for how much food I should eat. This is especially true when I eat very cleanly - meats, fats, veggies, some fruits.

But part of it will depend on your goals. Eating this way has taken me from a size 14 to a size 4, but I still have some body fat that I would love to lose. I'm not sure if I can get super lean without cutting calories - but I'm just going to see what happens. I would recommend just trying the basics for a month and see if that is good for you and then you can tweak a little if you need to.

A 14 to size 4? That is wonderful and very encouraging I have a hard time eating high fat foods and not worrying that the fat in the foods are going to add fat to my body. I am going to eat what is allowed and see what happens. Also using my hunger as a guide like you suggested. Breakfast today was eggs with cheese and 1 slice of bacon. That is primal allowed right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast