Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: test if my body is using fat as a fuel resouerce page

Constak is offline Junior Member

Question test if my body is using fat as a fuel resouerce

Anyone knows if there is a test to find out if the body has switch to fat energy?

This is because im been going probably 70% primal, and before anyone get all fanatic, im not 100% because maybe 2 meal a week i get to eat some sort of grain. For example yesterday dinner i ate carne asada and had 3 corn tortillas, today morning im skipping breakfast, just having a frappucino (not a fan of hot coffe) for damage control.
    Also for IF i eat dinner and skip breakfast, do the frapuccino, no cream (still very sweet) and eat normal lunch say 2 pm. is this correct?

So please, instead of criticism, what i need is advice and suggestions.

thanks

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    Supposedly keto stix would tell you this...I have read about them here several places but I have not personally used them. Others...?

taylor044 is offline Junior Member
    You're seriously going to drink a frappuccino for damage control?

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    If you can go more than 5hrs, 10hrs, 16hrs without eating and feel comfortable you're burning fat as fuel

ok thanks. The frappucino is no for damage control, its just instead of hot coffe

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Some people find they have strange smelling urine, a metallic taste in their mouths, have some insomnia (at first), and feel very energetic when they enter ketosis. You can also test your urine for the presence of ketones. After a year on primal, I still have ketones in my urine whenever I go to the doctor - although some people only see them in the beginning.

I completely agree with kitoi about the stable blood sugar - this morning I woke up all shaky and starving and I know it's because I have been eating poorly this week and am back burning sugar right now.

I'm not an expert but I would guess the frappacino will kick most people out of fat burning mode pretty quickly because of the concentrated hit of pure sugar. Not a big deal as the occasional treat, but I would find a different breakfast beverage for every day/general consumption.

thanks a lot jammies

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=jammies;530813]You can also test your urine for the presence of ketones. After a year on primal, I still have ketones in my urine whenever I go to the doctor - although some people only see them in the beginning.
    QUOTE]

I have never used a Keto Stix. I'd like to test my urine. What do you look for or how do you read them? I know they are pretty expensive.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Rosemary 231;530839]
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    You can also test your urine for the presence of ketones. After a year on primal, I still have ketones in my urine whenever I go to the doctor - although some people only see them in the beginning.
    QUOTE]

I have never used a Keto Stix. I'd like to test my urine. What do you look for or how do you read them? I know they are pretty expensive.
    I think it is $8 for 50 of the generic brand at CVS and they change color if ketones are present. Unless you are color blind, it shouldn't be hard to read.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You don't have to be in ketosis to be using fat as fuel. Nor do you need to be in ketosis to lose body fat. It works more like a dial system than switching from on or off. If you have been under 150g of carbs a day then you are burning fat as fuel. Think about it. 150g of carbs only supplies 600 calories most of which your brain will be using. Where does the rest of your energy come from throughout the rest of the day and night? Magic? Lightning? Or maybe Free Fatty Acids. Whether those FFA come from your food or your ass depends on many factors I won't get into. Also having a frapamochadoublechino, or whatever, will not "switch off" (dial down really) fat burning depending on the context.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast