Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best non-sedentary position for reading page

Farfalla is offline Senior Member

Best non-sedentary position for reading

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am an avid reader. Before going primal, I would mostly read sitting in a comfortable armchair or lying on the couch or something in between.

My work involves a lot of typing, for which I used a laptop on my lap when working in the armchair. Occasionally I would sit on a big exercise ball with my laptop on a low table. The idea of having a desktop and being stuck with a single position the whole day long is a complete nightmare to me. This is just to illustrate that my lifestyle is sedentary in general and that I needed to do something about it (also because I sometimes suffer from low back pain). So I started working in a standing position. I am able to do it two hours a day (with a break) but I am getting better and hope to gradually train myself to spend a significant part of my working hours standing.

I am very happy about the change in my working habits. Nevertheless, I still need to figure out a sustainable solution for the reading part of the day (let's say 3 or 4 hours - sometimes fewer if I have too much work or if we go out etc., but occasionally even 10 hours on an uneventful Saturday like this one). I would like to make my reading time more active and basically only be stationary the one hour I spend reading in bed before falling asleep.

We have a terrace where I cannot bump into anything. It takes me 15 steps from one end to the other. So I walk around at a very relaxed pace, holding my Kindle and reading. It is a very slow movement but still better than nothing, I guess. Our neighbors must think I am crazy but I don't care. The problem is that holding the Kindle in a position suitable for reading strains my neck muscles although the device is by no means heavy. If I lower the Kindle and lean it against my upper abdomen, it gets better but then I have to bend my head significantly - not sure it is quite healthy to be in that position. Besides, we are leaving this house soon and the other one will not have such a convenient and safe space for walking.

Another strategy is to put the Kindle on the railings (just about the ideal height for reading) and start fidgeting. But I found out that although I never stop walking when reading, I easly forget to fidget after a while. Sure, standing still is probably better for me than sitting but as I read a lot, it would be really great to combine it with some movement.

Any suggestions?

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Asian, or third-world, squat.

Gordo

Ouch. Maybe I could train myself but I am sure I would not withstand this more than one minute now.

Thank you nevertheless.

DSR84 is offline Member
    I've started reading while going on walks. Two birds with one stone! I also make sure to incorporate book free walks, of course. I'll also sort of lean up against the railing on my porch.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I think you are overthinking this, Farfalla. Did that infographic on the evils of sitting scare you?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I think you are overthinking this, Farfalla. Did that infographic on the evils of sitting scare you?
    It sure scared me. @.@
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by DSR84 View Post
    I've started reading while going on walks. Two birds with one stone! I also make sure to incorporate book free walks, of course. I'll also sort of lean up against the railing on my porch.
    How do you read the book? Could you estimate the angle of your eyes with the ground? I like this way best but my neck does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Yes, they did. If I had an active lifestyle otherwise, it would be different. But I love my work so I have to make changes somewhere else.

ErikaE is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    It sure scared me. @.@
    Me too. o.O So much so that next week I am planning to buy cut lumber to DIY cabinets to raise my desk to standing level. I would like one of those little compact treadmills too to go underneath it, but they're so pricey. Maybe if I ever get a work from home job.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.” -- Joseph Campbell

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    If standing works for you, go for it. However, even getting up frequently to move around may be enough.

More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    We have a full-size treadmill and we put a plank across the bars for a keyboard and mouse then mounted a monitor to the front.

The treadmill wasn't too expensive. We got it used from a guy who buys up equipment from gyms and reconditions it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast