Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chubby Luvins page

Mona is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Chubby Luvins

Primal Fuel
    Thats right, I'm going Primal. I've decided to walk away from the sinful life of wheat and dairy and government approved toxic waste and become a flesh eating, vegetable munching, organic seeking, card carrying, flag waving hippy.

There are alot of things that have brought me to this point. Most of them are quite personal, so what better place to share them than on a forum that noone will ever read? Here is a list of what the doctors have done for me so far: (its important for me to put these here, because the more I research the Primal way of life, the more I see this same grouping of symptoms).

1986 - C-Section
    1991 - Breast Reduction
    1991 - Gall Bladder removal - food allergies begin
    1995 - Hypothyroid
    1996 - Rosacea diagnosed
    1998 - Endometriosis diagnosed
    2000 - noticeable hair thinning, rosacea worsens.
    2003 - PCOS diagnosed
    2009 - Chronic Bronchitis diagnosed
    2009 - "Hemorrhoids" - turned out to be something less intrusive, but equally sinister
    2010 - noticed that "bronchitis" was actually a reaction to milk / wheat.

LIIIIGHT BUUUULB!!

I had alot of other things happen during the next year and a half that would alter my path. One was my cousin who was watching her daughter struggle with her health. If it wasn't for my cousin pushing, reading and researching, her daughter would probably also be well into her 40s before she knew she had food allergies.

Another big one was coming to the realization that doctors don't know everything. They don't know ME and they don't care enough about ME to really find out what is wrong. They look at an issue with little more than a cocked eyebrow and send you skipping out the door armed with symptom soothing medicines with big names you can't pronounce. In their defense, I suppose they see so many people in one day, it doesn't make sense for them to spend hours and hours on one chubby, balding, red-faced, sobbing lady. Its so much easier to give her Zoloft and skooch her out the door.

The epiphany for me was being told by 3 different doctors that I had chronic bronchitis. I would get my ONE BIG COLD for the year, and then the cough would stay with me for 3-4 months. Sometimes I would cough so much my blood vessels would burst on my chest, neck and face. They gave me pumps which did nothing but make me shaky and nauseous. Finally one day I realized it was wheat. GLUTEN if you will. It was a a long and convoluted path to a GLUTEN diagnosis, most of which I can't remember, but it doesn't take long to confirm it once you figure it out.

Why would the "one big cold" set it off? Well, I was raised by a woman who believed in "feed a cold, feed a fever". So when I was sick, she would insist I eat scads of crackers and bread. It would "help with the nausea", and its "easier to digest" when you're sick. SOOOOO... I was giving myself 3 - 4 months of a strict GLUTEN diet which would almost send me to an early grave. Thanks mom.

Other than the C-Section and the Breast reduction, I truly believe that every other diagnosis above is caused by my diet and the things I put on or near my body. Gluten, dairy, Carageenan, pesticides, chemicals, and oh... tomatoes. Tomatoes are fun because they make me feel like i'm pooping razor blades. RAZOR BLADES without the safety plastic edge on them. Yes. It hurts. Baaaaaad tomatoes.

So welcome to my beginning. I feel really good about this because I love life and I want to live long and prosper! But I also know its going to be rocky, because i'm an emotional eater and I'm off my Zoloft.

yikes!!

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    Welcome to primal. Various reactions to food can indeed cause your problems. Best of luck in overcoming them. You'll lots of information and support on this forum.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Wally_B_Sr is offline Junior Member
    hello and welcome Mona

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on finding the primal blueprint and this forum. I hope you see many successes
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Most of them are quite personal, so what better place to share them than on a forum that no one will ever read?
    Hee hee. Didn't work. I read your post. A charming read it was too, aside from being sad about your problems.

They look at an issue with little more than a cocked eyebrow and send you skipping out the door armed with symptom soothing medicines with big names you can't pronounce. In their defense, I suppose they see so many people in one day, it doesn't make sense for them to spend hours and hours on one chubby, balding, red-faced, sobbing lady. Its so much easier to give her Zoloft and skooch her out the door.
    Some really care, some don't. Either way, insurance companies really won't allow them to spend more than 15 minutes with you, max. And they (the doctors) risk malpractice suits if they don't prescribe the "accepted" treatment. The system sucks. We, however, are happy to listen to you and give you our suggestions for better health.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You've found your way here. Yay!

As I was reading through your list -- before you said it yourself further down -- I was thinking "most of this is food related."

Yeah, it's amazing what happens when you actually put in the proper fuel for the human machine for a change....

Welcome to the tribe.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Jaden is offline Junior Member
    Whoa! Your tale of brochitus is like looking in a mirror! (That, and the thyroid/PCOS issues.) As it turns out, I started (this week) Primal right at the onset of my own ONE BIG COLD. Been coughing like noone's business, to the point of spitting up blood. Not just flecks of it, either. I would have gone to the doctor if I hadn't already done that for the same symptom last year, to little avail. I'm on day six of Primal, and while I'm still coughing, the progress of the sickness has ceased. No blood. No "fits". No using copious amounts of Nyquil to sleep at night, or not being able to breathe away from the humidifier. (I'm not using either one, at all.)

Could this seriously be an allergy to grains??? I knew grains were bad... but are they really that bad?!

And don't get me started on carageenans. *shudder* When I was on my vegan "health" kick, I consumed copious amounts of chocolate soy milk. I strongly suspect that this led to a two-year bout with near-constant nausea and weekly episodes of.... unfun times in the bathroom. (Also, on the days I was well enough to eat, I subsisted on plain or slightly buttered/salted pasta. That's supposed to be gentle on the digestive tract, right? *facepalm*) I finally broke down and saw the doctor. The invasive tests revealed white blood cells in my esophagus, where they didn't belong - which is an indicator of a sensitive system and the presence of allergies. Nothing more specific, though. I finally took care of the problem myself, by putting myself on a liquid diet - blended vegetable soups only. Since then, I've noticed a distinct queaziness anything I've consumed carageenans, but figured it was just me. How do they affect you?

Anyway, Welcome!! I'm so glad you made it here, and shared with us!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Mona and Jaden, for respiratory health you must get enough vitamin D3. Unless you get a lot of sunshine, you probably need to take a supplement. I have gone from getting lots of colds and having to take allergy meds, to breathing easy. I had three very minor colds this year, so minor I barely noticed them. Next year I expect to have none. More If I were you, I would take 10,000 units of D3 for at least a few days. That level is considered very safe. Actually, much more than that is probably very safe.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 08-06-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

GF/NP is offline Member
    You are amazing for making the jump from gluten free to grain free! It took me 9 years to do that. Congrats on the new lifestyle!!!
    Last edited by GF/NP; 08-06-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: misspelling ;)

Mona is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, it took me a while to get my stomach "juices" and sinuses back to normal to stop the cough. Whenever I get too much into gluten or dairy, my sinuses drip and the coughing starts. My poor body! Thanks for the welcomes! I'm really excited. i started a journal in the journal page called Mona's Journey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast