Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greasing the Groove!!! page

wiltondeportes Guest

Greasing the Groove!!!

Primal Fuel
    Well, I had another epiphany today. CW is to eat frequently (3 times a day) and workout infrequently (3-4 times a week doing 3 sets of 12 type of mindset). My take is to eat infrequently (once a day) and workout frequently (small # of reps per set doing sets throughout the day).

I'll explain that last part. It's called greasing the groove. If you want to be able to do more push ups, you just do more push ups. You don't pump out 2 sets to failure necessarily. You do maybe 10 during every commercial break or every 10 minutes. If you want to get faster, you don't go for a 3-5 mile jog. You go on with your day and periodically jog around the block. Come back inside and just go back to your business.

It keeps you more energized, and it keeps nutrition going to your muscles. The writer of the book Greasing the Groove, Pavel Tsatsouline, states that it strengthens the connection between brain and muscle. It allows you to get more out of that process when you go back and test yourself on a going-to-failure set. His basic idea is do as much as you can while being as fresh as you can. It's totally in line with everything I've been told of my two biggest role models in fitness, Herschel Walker and Jack LaLanne.

Anyways, I haven't read the book yet. I just wanted to post this as I plan on trying out the working out part immediately. So far, so good.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    oh interesting idea. I recently got a spin bike and have been jumping on and off all day. I figure, more or less as you've mentioned, that I'm teaching those neglected muscles to work. It's a good antidote to the "sitting all day will kill you" thing too.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

davem is offline Senior Member
    Been doing that with pushups and a stability disc.

Pushups easier.
    Balance increased.

No sweat.

My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I am familiar with GTG and I do it every now and then (GET IT!!!... sorry) but now that my reps are kinda up there for most things I do it less frequently. It is a very good thing to do when you can't get more than a few reps of something though. If you're just starting out on pull ups or push ups or whatever, it's a very good tool.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    GTG is very usefull as a "skill-training" tactic. For example, GTG is the main reason I can do handstand pushups. I just tried them constantly (several times a day) for weeks until they became easy. I would have never gotten there if I only did them as part of a traditional workout once a week or whatever.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    @ciep, basically, another word for GTG is "practice" you get better at what you practice, the more often you practice it, the faster you'll get better at it. I'm sure this is why it "strengthens" the connection between the brain and muscle and everything else that is involved in that process. Obviously a side effect is you will also get stronger.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    So do you do this in place of regular workouts? Or is that what Pavel suggests?
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Well, it's a concept.

Herschel Walker unconciously was greasing the groove when he was growning up.

The story goes that his dad came to him when he was sitting on the couch one day. Herschel was fat, had glasses, and was picked on. His dad asked him what he liked to do. Herschel said....I like to watch TV. Long story short, he made him do just a little bit of exercise while still allowing Herschel what he wanted. During commercials, he'd do pushups, situps, and dips. He'd go outside and race his sister. He was slow at first, but he started building up his muscle. He never really had to do much weight training at all during his career.

If you apply grease the groove to all the things you'd like to become, you can do it all. IE, want to be faster, stronger in lower body, and stronger upper body. You can run, do squats, and pushups. You're never exactly 'working out' and you're never exactly not working out.

Expanded to broader terms, this works for all sorts of things. If you want to be a rock star, you play your guitar a lot. If you are willing to do the work, the equation is there to achieve what you want.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-05-2011 at 07:57 PM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yeah I am familiar with GTG and I do it every now and then (GET IT!!!... sorry) but now that my reps are kinda up there for most things I do it less frequently. It is a very good thing to do when you can't get more than a few reps of something though. If you're just starting out on pull ups or push ups or whatever, it's a very good tool.
    I don't think it ever becomes less beneficial as long as you increase your reps as you get stronger. Maybe when you're doing 3000 pushups per day, you can stop.

Of course, it all depends on your goals too.

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post

There are many ways to use GTG but the simplest option is to choose one exercise, one you particularly would like to master or get stronger on. Perform that exercise in GTG fashion and then perform your regular workouts as scheduled minus that one exercise. Example- if I performed GTG with pull-ups I personally wouldn't perform pull-ups during my regular workout since I would be doing tons of them via GTG.

While GTG is great it does have one flaw, it requires many mini practice sessions throughout the day and the week. If a person works an 8-10 hour per day job, has a mild commute to and from work, and a family they like to spend time with, they may not have the luxury of performing these mini practice sessions throughout each day. I have found that it actually becomes easier and more convenient to set aside a 30-45 minute workout session several times per week then to perform these constant mini practice sessions. Under the above circumstances I think it would be extremely difficult to use GTG on numerous exercises at the same time.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast