Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Food costs page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Primal Food costs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been talking to my brother about primal and he talks about how expensive it is and I need to pitch in more because of what I'm eating. I don't really mind this and its probably a good idea, but I would like to know the cost difference so I can see how much I would need to spend.

How much per month did it cost before primal compared to after going primal. I've heard supposedly with all the things you get rid of the costs aren't that much higher. People in Texas or even better Midland Texas which is in the western area would be even better because of cost differences. I don't think I have even close to the resources to do optimal meaning organic everything, but wouldn't mind seeing those numbers too.

It would be interesting to see numbers on someone that was CW switched to primal than switched to optimal primal. I'm guessing optimal primal with organic and such is a huge price increase, but I don't know how much of one.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i actually eat less food now then i did.

also i spend way less because im not buying chips and candy and box lunch meals etc

i buy a lot of meat which CAN be expensive but i look for deals at the store. sometimes if something is close to the sell by date they lower the price. since i dont freeze anything it works out good for me. i was getting 1lb top sirloin steaks for awhile for less then $3, they were regularly priced at $7. each one of those was 2 meals for me if i wanted them to be. add a salad and you got a nice meal for a couple bucks, where else can you eat like that?

i know a lot of people are against grocery store meat and only eat grass fed stuff, even then you can find deals on bulk purchases like half a cow or whatever. if you have the freezer space that would be the way to go
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Nion is offline Senior Member
    It's actually about the same for me. I shop at three different places - getting meat and veg at the local restaurant supply wholesale is WAY cheaper. Or Asian supermarkets. Shop around. I spend about $200 a fortnight for two adults, and DH eats a LOT for lunch.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    My food expenditures stayed pretty static, though it was through trade-offs balancing each other out - i.e. grass-fed beef replacing fancypants flours.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat out nearly as much, so food costs are pretty much the same. I'm not perfectly organic, though I try to get the best meat I can as often as possible. My husband is another big eater, so most weeks I will get a big piece of meat for the crockpot from the local Mexican market. I also have chickens, so we have plenty of pastured eggs for just the price of their feed.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

mamaparks is offline Member
    I just went shopping yesterday and my bill was the exact same as it was when I was conventional. I have a family of four- me , hubby, 2yr old twins and we spend about 150.00 per week. We are in NC as well- so not sure how pricing varies...

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    While it's not primal, white rice is cheap as hell and harmless if you're active enough. Not a good staple for a fat loss diet, but if you're maintaining or gaining weight it's fine.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I spend about the same or slightly less than when I was buying conventionally. I think where people get fooled into thinking Primal is more expensive, is that meals ARE more expensive. However, they aren't factoring snacking, drive through "just a quick whatever", and nibbling. I eat a meal, and thats it until I eat my next meal.

I would chip in whatever to keep the peace, there's no point in pissing off family, but start keeping track of what you're eating, and things they are eating that you don't. I can usually find meat at the $3/lb price range, and a variety if I keep an eye on sales, so much of what I eat is not expensive at all! Chicken thighs, turkey thighs, pork butt roasts or shoulder chops, ground beef, beef on sale, whole chicken, canned tuna or mackerel, all are inexpensive choices at pretty much any time.

I did have a bit of a wtf moment when I paid $1.99/lb for cabbage last night. I thought hrm, I could eat tasty meat for only slightly more... but I really want to try making sauerkraut!
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    heh i had one of those the other day too, i want to try spaghetti squash and at the store it was like $1.79/lb but the things weigh like 4 lbs lol i was like umm no i think ill live without trying it

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I spend the same or slightly less too. I always look for sales at tend to buy meat when it is on sale. Meat is the biggest part of the grocery bill, although depending on what you do with produce, it can get pricy too. I tend to buy spinach and kale for my greens, or green leaf lettuce, as they are the cheapest leafy greens around here. We all eat berries every day and I usually get frozen, unless the fresh are cheaper, which they sometimes are this time of year.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast