Thread: Going Paleo in the Ultimate house of CW, help? page

thetodclark is offline Junior Member

Going Paleo in the Ultimate house of CW, help?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello! I guess after a month of going cold-turkey Primal, it's time to just say hello and thanks for the wealth of inspiration, help and guidance the people here have given me just by reading your posts. I love that everyone is so willing to share.

My story: I've been OBSESSED, since leaving the nest, with what I eat, when I eat it, how much of everything, when to work out, how to work out, etc. I'm somewhat of a newlywed, with a spouse that is also very active, very regimented in his diet. I worked out like him, ate like him (even though it left me feeling like I never ate... bleck), to no avail. One slip up on the weekend and I packed on weight.

I'm very petite (short, small bone structure), so when I hit 125 lbs, and worked out, counted calories, the whole CW shabang, nothing made sense anymore. I was weak, never got any stronger regardless of strength training, exhausted all the time, depressed, and just overall beaten to the ground.

Enter Primal Blueprint: (almost) No more acne, no more depression, dropped down to 112 lbs (right in the middle of normal for my height!), feeling stronger, sleeping better... just generally great! I even have a friend seeking weight loss to go through this with me.

The lingering issue: My hubby. At first I knew he wouldn't take this at face value. He's a skeptic at heart. Even after the weight loss and obvious changes in mood, with no signs of turning back, his usual response to my primal comments are something to the lines of "well... everyone has their own opinion about how things should be done." and leaves it at that. I'm at a loss because I want him to support and embrace my lifestyle. I would never push him to do anything, but anytime I try to suggest why something negative in his health might be effected by his diet, he just repeats the same "well everyone has their own opinion on ____."

Any thoughts or ideas on how to approach this? I know skepticism is typical with the lifestyle, I accept that, but there can't be any discussion with this kind of attitude toward it. Yes, everyone has their own opinion, but it's hard to just say "WELL THIS ONE'S RIGHT!" without taking away my own credibility.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Did you see the comment in one of the threads about telling him it's a "Bacon and Sex Diet?"
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Grokarella is offline Member
    It sounds like your husband is trying to be respectful, even if he is disengaging the conversation. It seems that he doesn't agree with you - but isn't that ok? For all of the time that my husband as known me, I was a vegetarian (except for the past month of going primal). He was definitely not a vegetarian! It was a non-issue for us. Ideas of health and diet can be a very personal and don't necessarily have to be shared by partners. As long as he is being respectful and not questioning/insulting your diet choices, I wouldn't worry too much. After some time, after he sees what great success you're having on this way of eating, maybe he will become more interested

That's a fair point. There have been times when he's made comments like "yeah, but you can't eat anything..." that are sort of frustrating, but for the most part it's respectful. It's just nice to be able to have a discussion with your partner, when it's something you've become passionate about.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Did you see the comment in one of the threads about telling him it's a "Bacon and Sex Diet?"
    Haha, I did not see that... good idea

Grokarella is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thetodclark View Post
    That's a fair point. There have been times when he's made comments like "yeah, but you can't eat anything..." that are sort of frustrating, but for the most part it's respectful. It's just nice to be able to have a discussion with your partner, when it's something you've become passionate about.
    I absolutely understand this! My husband has been great this past month. We've had some great discussions and when I have made requests (like hiding certain types of food from me - it is hard to have it in the house!), he has always been happy to do it. However, he has no interest in primal, at least right now. Maybe he will at some point, but I'm not counting on it Would it make things easier? Definitely! But, again, he is his own person. I think that I'm more sensitive to diet being such an individual, personal thing because of my previous vegetarianism. As long as he is being supportive, I don't mind that he is not on the primal bandwagon.