Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Raw page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Some of you saw my blog post the other day where I took the step into raw foods, and more precisely, raw meat. It has been on my mind ever since.

I've googled and googled, but somehow I only keep coming up with 2 kinds of pages. Pages telling me how dangerous raw meat is (they assume it's CAFO meat), or pages on how to feed cats and dogs raw diets. In both cases, not helpful.

I definitely want to delve further into eating more raw meat, but not ONLY raw meat, not to be particularly "hard core" or weird or anything, but because it just plain tastes good! For a comparison, think of eating a fresh raw bell pepper versus a cooked one. That's the same difference I tasted with the meat. It was just so... fresh tasting.

In my freezer I currently have grass-fed/finished beef and pastured/wild boar. The most obvious risk is trichinosis (in the pork), which is greatly reduced by freezing for a period of 20 days or longer (already done.)

I highly doubt I'd eat raw meat anywhere but home, or possibly my parents' house IF they were serving the same beef/boar I bought. I also already eat my Amish/pastured eggs raw (usually in protein shake.) The texture and flavor leaves a lot to be desired. I'd say it would be a 50-50 thing, eating meat cooked half the time and raw the other half, just as I do my eggs.

Mostly I'm looking for others experiences, and/or any helpful links. I seem to be having some trouble finding sites on my own.

Thanks!

Tarlach is offline Member

Trichinosis is something you don't want to get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

...but there are plenty more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_parasitic_diseases

Cooking meat properly (165F/70C) kills most things in it. You should always have well cooked meat when pregnant or have a low immune system.

A recent study in Australia found that almost all store bought chicken (raw) contained various traces of salmonella due to cross contamination in handling and processing. I'm assuming the UK and US are exactly the same (as farming and handling is similar). As most abattoirs are shared, getting grass-fed beef can't guarantee you aren't getting contaminated meat.

Symptoms of listeriosis include fever, headaches, vomiting and diarrhoea and left untreated it can cause meningitis and blood poisoning.

Listeria infections can be successfully treated if diagnosed quickly, but infants have a high mortality rate even when antibiotics are administered.

Infections during pregnancy greatly increases the risks of miscarriage, birth defects and newborn illnesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listeriosis

You can also get E coli or listeria from meat which is not cooked properly or left out after cooking.

Although most strains of E coli are harmless, some cause severe illness and occasionally it may lead to death, especially in the elderly or very young children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecoli

I'm not game to risk my kids lives, so couldn't justify feeding them raw meat. I don't have any desire to do it myself either. It just seems unnecessarily risky.

I don't think you run a very high chance of getting sick and some people do it for many years without problem, so at the end of the day it's up to you. You just need to know that you are more at risk...

You might get some more info here (though a bit one sided

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/

I eat my meat well done and do not have a compelling reason to do otherwise.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

well done, Tarlach? So sad! Medium rare, baby. mmm.

DR, for some reason I think raw beef or venison would be amazing (provided, like you said, that you know where it comes from, it's totally healthy and clean, etc). But I probably wouldn't eat raw boar/pork, definitely not poultry.

Kind of like... in sashimi, you can get good, clean, safe raw tuna (my favorite) but you wouldn't want to eat crab meat raw.

I dunno why... just sayin'.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Well, med/well anyway. I don't mind it pink, but I don't go for red and chewy :P

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

man, I was a RARE girl all the way when i was a kid - I even asked for tastes of the hamburger meat as my dad was prepping it for burgers or meatloaf (yes, gross CAFO meat with raw eggs mixed in, and he LET me taste it!!! Mostly because he was horrified/amused and wanted to see if I'd eat/like it).

Now I'm more of a medium-rare person... just because I like the outside a tiny bit more set so it's easier to cut. haha. I think it improves the texture too, but medium and beyond is too done for me. For nice steaks anyway.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

JulieD Guest

You might check out Lex Rooker's site. He does meat only, but will probably have some good info for you.

http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/lex-rooker-usa/

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I've read up on trichinosos, e-coli and salmonella, and rabies even (I eat coyote, raccoon and fox on occasion, and will not eat them any way other than well done.)

This raw thing certainly wouldn't apply to anything bought from a grocery store. As of right now, probably only my RGF beef in the freezer. I don't buy meat from a grocery store anymore... not after watching Food Inc.

I wish there were an inexpensive way to test the meat I have, to see if it's clean. :P (Now wouldn't that be a revolutionary at-home invention every mom could use!?) Hehehe...

I'm quite sure this is something I'm going to do, accepting all risks. I'm just looking for others experiences with it, meats they've eaten, maybe some recipes or tips... that sort of thing.

Thanks Julie. A very helpful link.

Some of the raw paleo eaters that I know go for a fair bit of seafood (ie. with lemon juice and maybe some herbs).

I guess it depends upon the availability of fresh produce...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

musajen is offline Junior Member

My dad loves eating this stuff called Tiger Meat. It's basically raw hamburger with a bunch of seasonings mixed in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_meat

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Diana, can I ask you what motivated you to want to try it? I'm just curious. I'm reading Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human by Richard W. Wrangham, and to be honest, he presents more than enough valued arguments to go for cooked rather than raw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast