Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: No more than 6 hours without eating? page

  1. #1
    JPA's Avatar
    JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    427

    No more than 6 hours without eating?

    Shop Now
    Ok guys, I've done IF for several months (16/8, 2 meals per day), lost too much weight and screwed myself all over, possibly my thyroid and adrenals (even though my levels are so so). I'm fatigued (better now), have some numbness on my right ass and right foot (not sure if it's related to the overall problem).

    I've quit IF and gone back to 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm feeling a bit better now... I guess IF is not for me.

    I've read around the web that if indeed I'm suffering from thyroid or adrenal issues (fatigue) that I shouldn't go for longer than 6 hours without eating? The problem is that from lunch to dinner I do end up with more than 6 hours without eating. I'm just not hungry. I thought about throwing down some milk in the late afternoon so I don't have to chew anything, but it just seems wrong to eat without hunger. On the other hand, I just want to get better. Here's my day more or less:

    BREAKFAST - 8 AM
    LUNCH - 1.30 PM
    DINNER - 9.15 PM

    Breakfast to lunch is 5.30 hours, and lunch to dinner is +7 hours without eating.

    That is the the time when I stop eating. Not sure if I should count the time when I start or end up eating but in either case the times above are when I finish my meals. I'm well satiated throghout the day, I'm just scared if I'm impairing my health recovery speed process or not and if I should force myself to drink some milk or fruit or something at around 7PM or so.

    Even though I'm not hungry, in the afternoon I end up stressing over food and thinking about food, and this is just too OBSESSIVE of a behavior for my linking.
    Last edited by JPA; 08-05-2011 at 06:15 AM.

  2. #2
    croí's Avatar
    croí is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    660
    Could you eat a smaller lunch?

  3. #3
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    The people writing about leptin talk about the importance of no snacking. Mastering Leptin says space meals out during the day to 5-6 hrs and don't eat a few hours before bed. Going one more hour doesn't seem like something that will make a big change.

    I think based on that, your spacing is not that much to worry about, but you're eating dinner later. Are you eating dinner close to bedtime? Why not just eat dinner a bit earlier?

  4. #4
    JPA's Avatar
    JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    427
    Interesting point DFH, that I often considered... I've read lots of people saying they have dinner at 6PM but that's just too weird for me... I'm from Portugal, we have a lot of hours with sun, and over here people usually have dinner between 9-10PM, usually later like 11PM (not uncommon). Maybe people in the US have dinner so early because they have less hours of sunlight.

    I usually finish eating dinner at 9, 9.30PM and I go to bed at 10-10.30PM.

    The whole 6 hours without eating business scares a me a bit still... I'm basically going for 7h30minutes without eating from lunch to dinner. And then there's my small numbness in the buttock to worry about as well. On the other hand i'm not sure if adding milk in the late afternoon, like say, at 7PM is even going to to anything to improve my condition.

  5. #5
    trippplez's Avatar
    trippplez is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Even though I'm not hungry, in the afternoon I end up stressing over food and thinking about food, and this is just too OBSESSIVE of a behavior for my linking.
    If you are not *really* hungry, as in IF hungry after 14-16 hours, your urges to eat are a product of boredom. At least from my experience, the boredom is still sometimes 'stronger' than hunger, 2/3 of the day without putting anything in my mouth except water and black coffee can be booo-ring. So I sympathize.

  6. #6
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Interesting point DFH, that I often considered... I've read lots of people saying they have dinner at 6PM but that's just too weird for me... I'm from Portugal, we have a lot of hours with sun, and over here people usually have dinner between 9-10PM, usually later like 11PM (not uncommon). Maybe people in the US have dinner so early because they have less hours of sunlight.

    I usually finish eating dinner at 9, 9.30PM and I go to bed at 10-10.30PM.

    The whole 6 hours without eating business scares a me a bit still... I'm basically going for 7h30minutes without eating from lunch to dinner. And then there's my small numbness in the buttock to worry about as well. On the other hand i'm not sure if adding milk in the late afternoon, like say, at 7PM is even going to to anything to improve my condition.
    The numbness doesn't seem like it's food related. They way you described it, it sounds like the nerve that runs from mid-back to the leg. Go get a massage!

    I would be more concerned about eating 1 hr before bed than having a long time from lunch to dinner, but I know it's tradition too. I haven't been to Portugal but I have been to Spain and other countries near there and noticed people eating late.

  7. #7
    JPA's Avatar
    JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    427
    So 1 hour is the minimum of time I should have when going to bed?

    Am I really stressing too much over the 7h30 minutes that I'm going without eating? Remember I may be suffering from an over reactive gland/thyroid (weight loss, hair loss, weak nails) or adrenal fatigue, so I'm probably not in the same healthy ship as other people (I need to gain weight but again, it feels so weird to eat without hunger - I've been throwing lots of coconut oil lately on my meals).

  8. #8
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    So 1 hour is the minimum of time I should have when going to bed?

    Am I really stressing too much over the 7h30 minutes that I'm going without eating? Remember I may be suffering from an over reactive gland/thyroid (weight loss, hair loss, weak nails) or adrenal fatigue, so I'm probably not in the same healthy ship as other people (I need to gain weight but again, it feels so weird to eat without hunger - I've been throwing lots of coconut oil lately on my meals).
    You need to stop eating like 2 1/2 hrs before bed. Yeah I think you are worrying about the 7 1/2 hr gap too much. Do your best and give it time.

  9. #9
    JKC's Avatar
    JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,026
    I agree. Don't stress it. If you need to gain, eat more calorie dense food, that way you don't need to eat more than you feel comfortable with. If your levels are ok - maybe your thyroid and adrenals are not off. You might check your vitamin and mineral levels because a lot of other things can cause brittle hair and nails, like low iron or low copper.

    I also wouldn't worry too much about meal timing. I still agree with the eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full. We sometimes try to overanalyze everything, rather than listen to our bodies.

    If you want to support your thyroid, you can try supplementing with selenium or eating 2-3 brazil nuts a day - more than that would overload you, so don't munch out on too many.

    Nuts and full fat dairy may help, and you could maybe try smoothies
    Karin

    A joyful heart is good medicine

    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

    Mmmmm. Real food is good.

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

  10. #10
    m e g a n foxy's Avatar
    m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    148
    The numbness- I had the same exact thing except in both my legs. B-complex supplement took it away, almost immediately. Mind you, I went through a million doctors who knew nothing, went to the chiropractor, they put me on the B-complex and I was cured. Tells you a lot about the medical community.
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •