Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started great - Ended bad page

chazglen is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

These holiday days are a little daunting. Cookies, candy cakes and pies are everywhere. This was today:

BREAKFAST : 2 eggs, cheese, spinach, 1 cup coffee.

LUNCH : Chicken thigh and drumstick and a small piece of cantaloupe

SNACK : 4 dried apricot halves

DINNER : Big salad with blue cheese, walnuts and 1 cup broiled chicken, glass of wine

THEN : 1/4 cup dark chocolate M&Ms (oh my)

Did the M&Ms cancel out the ketosian progress of the whole day? Just wondering.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Oops.

It happens sometimes. Just get back at it tomorrow.

Just wondering, though--- was there anything in particular that triggered the attack of the M&Ms? When this happenes to me, I try to figure out how I got derailed.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

It looks to me like there were more good choices than bad-it could have been worse. Consider it your 20%, and fast or HIIT tomorow. I'd say to consider that calorie balance and weight gain are based on intake throughout the week (not just one day), so you can tighten things up for the rest of the week.

chazglen is offline Junior Member

KUNO : They were peanut M&Ms too. Living in a NON-PB household with a long tradition of doing sugary things for Christmas means that the house, during these long days leading up to it, is littered with all kinds of holiday heroin. The M&Ms (along with other drugs) were left over from the construction of an incredibly glorious gingerbread house. Why do the house, you may ask? Tradition, I guess. ...that and the redeeming thought that they tend to be inedible after decorating the house for three weeks.

ICE : Someone once said that eating sugar is like dumping a shovel-full of snow on a fire. Maybe it would actually be to my benefit to see that so much good work for 12 hours of the day could be so easily wiped out by one two-minute act... but you're right about not getting discouraged. THAT is the greater poison!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

It's not good if you're trying to lose weight. You need to be strict until you hit your target weight.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

@chazglen

"Did the M&Ms cancel out the ketosian progress of the whole day? Just wondering."

Insulin cancels ketosis. If it didn't you would die of ketoacidocis. The apricot halves and cantaloupe may have kicked you out of ketosis before that. That being said there is only about 300 calories in 1/4 of m&ms. Don't let 300 Cal get you down. Besides, a little flexibility now and again will help in the long run.

If your goal is ketosis for the sake of ketosis then avoiding all sugars including fruit will help.

Ketosis is not necessary for fat loss and your day as whole (including m&ms) looks pretty good.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I remember reading a great blog entry (can't remember who wrote it) and their point was this - Before you eat anything sugary, ask yourself 'Do I want to stop burning fat for 4 hours?'. Easier said than done, I know. Sometimes asking myself this question before being lured into something tempting works...most of the time!

All this is taking into account your goal is Ketosis.

I grok, therefore I am.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I really wouldn't sweat it. It's the Holidays and traditions play an important role in all of our lives. Maybe just take a break and start being more strict once the holidays pass. I'm not talking about gorging down on cookies and cakes, but don't beat yourself up for couple of little treats either.

By the way, if you're trying to achieve ketosis, you would probably want to eliminate all fruit. The less carbs, the better.

You can also help yourself out by doing an IF for about 15 hours or longer if you can. That should get your insulin back in check again.

Kaizen Guest

I don't think calories in the M&Ms is the real problem here, it's the sugar. None the less, it happens, thus the 80% rule eh? It's the holidays, so don't drive yourself nuts trying to keep within the limits of primal eating. I know I'll be eating a nice non-primal meal with my family. After all, it's about lifestyle changes and being happy, so indulge once in a while, but also know how to keep that from happening often. I'd say try to find some good "desserts" that are much more nutritious, couldn't find almond M&Ms? Haha.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I'm gonna agree with chima on this case...Just because you're not in ketosis doesn't necessarily mean that you've stopped burning fat. Additionally, remember that fruit is also sugar. It's nearly impossible to determine if you're in a state of ketosis or not based on the information provided...The body is a complex thing. Just make sure those M&Ms were damn worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast