Thread: Any Butter Makers Out There? page

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member

Any Butter Makers Out There?

Shop Now
    Hey Guys,

Ive been making my own butter for a couple of months now. I use Marks guidelines on how to make butter and I get majority of the butter milk out of the butter but there still seems to be some moisture remaining in the butter.

I find store bought butter seems to have absolutely no moisture at all... Im wondering how they achieve this... or even better, how can I achieve this at home?

The butter is amazing so far, but Id like to get that little bit of moisture out of it.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Oz

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    I make fermented butter for my husband and myselft (the rest of the family hate it!) and find the moisture difficult to get out, too. However, I rinse it until there are no more signs of buttermilk, then put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes before draining it and squeezing out the water, then patting it dry with kitchen paper, and repeating the process until it's as dry as I can get it. Then I divide into 8oz portions, wrap it in greaseproof paper, and freeze it! Seems to work quite well.

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Ok thanks. Ill try that.

I squeeze all of the buttermilk out too with ice cold water and a fork (ala marks directions), so it just seems theres a little moisture still left in there. Its really not a big issue for me but I just wonder how professional butter makers seem to be able to get all that moisture out.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Not yet, but I've just found a source of raw dairy and I'm picking up my first couple of litres tomorrow.
    Planning to try butter and yoghurt first, as I don't really drink milk to often and don't have any frosties to drown in lashings of the cold white stuff anymore

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    I just wonder how professional butter makers seem to be able to get all that moisture out.
    I think commercially prepared butter probably is centrifuged or something. I've looked into it, and there are "butter workers" that people used to use. The simplest is "Scotch hands", but there are all kinds of elaborate devices that are/were used to remove moisture from butter: Butter Workers

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    It wasn't butter, but it serves the same purpose: melted bone marrow mixed with bacon grease, with some dried rosemary and garlic. I set the bone in the fridge for a few days with a little red wine. I scooped the soft insides out and put into a small pot. Place that pot over a larger pot of boiling water...it should melt the marrow into a clear liquid. Strain out any meaty bits, mix in your herbs/garlic/bacon fat, and then remove. Pour into a dish and freeze. Once it is solidified, but still soft, cut into desired portion sizes and then allow to freeze through. Makes my eggs taste great.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    CoS, that sounds fantastic...

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    @CoS: I guess that brings up another method of removing the moisture from butter: boil it off and make it clarified butter/ghee.

PrimalCon New York
    Don't know if these articles add anything, but I found them interesting:

How to Make Butter and Buttermilk
    How to Make Butter at Home