Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Primal on Tour page

BNDR is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey all, I've been reading the forums and lots of the articles and recipes on here and it's all very, very interesting. I still have much research to do before totally embracing this new way of eating. Unfortunately, I can see an obstacle in my journey already!!

I am a touring stagehand and will be heading out on my next national tour in January 2010. On the road, my options are limited to eating out, delivery, and microwaveable food. I live in hotels and on a bus. The bus has very limited fridge/freezer space and a microwave and that's it.

I love touring, but making and saving money is a big draw. Can I eat Primal and not spend everything I make!?? What do I eat that can be stored on the bus and easily prepared?

Any and all questions and suggestions welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

- bndr

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Eating out may not be "primal" at most places (grassfed meats, local vegetables, no preservatives, etc) but it's pretty easy to eat out and stay low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein.

I ate out every meal for several weeks while my husband and I were moving cross-country and before we had our kitchen set up. I was afraid it would screw stuff up (just the sodium content alone, sheesh!) but I felt fine, even IFed parts of some days, and didn't gain a pound the whole time (I wasn't trying to lose).

So if you're at a restaurant, you don't need to order anything more expensive... just salad with seafood or chicken/steak on top and oil and vinegar dressing (not pre-mixed vinaigrettes or whatnot as they often have sugar in them) is a safe bet. Or a piece of chicken/steak/seafood - usually they're served with potatoes or pasta or whatnot, but NO restaurant has ever refused to replace the starchy sides with grilled veggies or steamed veggies for me.

At breakfasts beware - some popular chains actually put PANCAKE BATTER in their scrambled eggs and omelets. Be sure to ask and if you request it, they'll use "just real eggs from the shells" for you. Steer clear of the potatoes and hashbrowns - ask for extra meat (sausage/bacon) or fresh fruit instead.

Some people here are super-duper anti-microwave. But you do what you can... you can totally get some eggs (if you have a fridge) and make microwave omelets. A boy I used to babysit would whisk an egg or two in a bowl, add cheese, and microwave until it was set. He LOVED it - and super easy.

Frozen veggies are great - way better than canned nutritionally, and store longer than fresh. Most can also be microwaved.

You could also buy ham - beware of too much sugar or salt added though! - which is pre cooked, and store that in your fridge. Warm it up or just eat it cold. mmmm.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

FNW covered it very well.

sashimi is also awesome and primal (just the fish, no rice) - you can ask for seaweed (nori) too. mmmm.

And most restaurants' servers won't think you're crazy for ordering a cheeseburger with no bun (some places will wrap it in lettuce, but I just like to eat it with a fork and knife). But even if they think you're crazy, they'll still do it for you. You can also sub veggies for fries.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

oh - trying to think of other pre-cooked grocery store (i.e., cheaper than eating out) stuff - rotisserie chicken for the win!

eat it as is, put it over lettuce for an awesome salad (EVOO and balsamic vinegar dressing), use it to make chicken salad (if you don't mind mayo - you can get mayo packets at fast food places when y'all make a quick stop on the road), whatever else you like to do with chicken.

subway salads are good too - but their oil tastes weird so I brought my own EVOO and balsamic vinegar on the road with me. haha.

Sorry for SO MUCH domination of this thread - just... like I said, I spent weeks doing it, and want to help you so you know it CAN be done.

BNDR is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much! Very helpful!! I avoid the friend stuff and try not to eat anything where I can't pronounce the ingredients. I wish I liked seafood more because I sure get sick of chicken and I'm not a ham fan. I enjoy me some eggs in the morning, but it was always easier just to throw in some microwave oatmeal. Honestly, I eat oatmeal every day right now. I'm gonna finish this container, then try the No-oatmeal recipe. I really like oatmeal, so that's kinda sad. I still have a lot of reading to do. If anyone wants to let me borrow their copy of PB....?

Keep the suggestions comin'! Thanks again!!

BNDR

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

@FNW: Agree with you on Subway. They use Canola oil, which tastes like crap.

Evil.....

WHY would you put canola oil on a salad? Or...anywhere?? I knew there was something wrong with it. I just thought maybe it was "lite" olive oil.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Nah...it's just straight-up UGLY oil.

I can even smell it...didn't even have to taste it.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I used to LOVE canola oil, until I went Primal. My mom cooked with it the other day and BLECH! The only thing worse is vegetable oil. *shudder*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast