Thread: How long for triglycerides levels to change after eating? page

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member

How long for triglycerides levels to change after eating?

Primal Fuel
    Long story short, I ate a snickers bars today. Not a mini or fun size, but a regular size. (yes, very stupid). Immediate sugar rush, it tasted sickeningly sweet, but I ate it all. Then my doctor's office called to ask if I could come in for the cholesterol test I had asked for, in just 1 hour. So i did, and my test results came back as follows.
    Total Chol: 194
    HDL: 48
    TRG: 187
    LDL: 109

I calculated my ratios, and the trig/HDL is pretty bad.

Just as history, I have struggled with my screwed up relationship to food, and finally feel like I'm kicking that. Keeping my "cheats" minimal, and usually just a little fruit or small piece of chocolate. I eat around 75-125g of carbs per day due to my thyroid issues, and have pretty consistent with that for the past 6 weeks or so.

So I'm wondering, is this high trig level due to my lapse in judgment today, or is it indicative of my diet being bad as a whole? Is it worth it to go back for a fasted test?Thoughts? Any advice (or even a kick in the pants) is welcome. Thanks!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Probably due to the lapse in judgment. Go back in a few weeks after you have avoided the carbs for a while and see what the trigs look like.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    Lipid tests when not fasted are useless
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thanks for your responses... Makes sense that a non-fasted test has too many variables to be useful. Guess I had google overload after searching for info and wanted to hear from folks who know what they're talking about. Thanks again!

I finally went back & was retested... fasted this time.

10/5/2011 Results:
    Total Chol: 210
    HDL: 61
    TRG: <45
    LDL: n/a*

Doctor said because Trigs are so low, difficult for the machine to calculate my LDL. I did some calculations, assuming my Trigs are approx 45... although they could be lower, who knows.
    They come out like this:
    LDL = 106.7 (Iranian)
    Total/HDL = 3.44 (ideal = 4.4 or below)
    Trig/HDL = .74 (ideal = 2 or below)
    LDL/HDL = 1.75 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

Much better... even my doctor (very CW-oriented) said that my numbers are excellent, don't change a thing.

Thanks again to Mark & all the folks here on PB for all your wisdom and advice... I am reclaiming my health one step at a time.

jay_fm is offline Member
    That is great! I love reading what this way of eating has done for people.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff Jen. Wonder why the doctor would have you come in non-fasted. Unless you ate a Snickers at 6AM and they though you hadn't eaten yet.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't worry about it, let alone analyze it.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.