Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Endurance tank is empty, keep hitting the wall page 4

donjon is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Question:
    Male, 22, 169lbs
    hitting the wall on my interval runs at the 30minute mark out of the 40-45minutes. Training at 75%max HR (max HR is 198)
    Already relatively lean, small pouch of "maybe cortisol related" on lower abs but need energy...thoughts? quinoa?sweet potatoes?
    You need a decent amount of carbs. Quinoa is garbage, sweet potatoes are ok.

Personally I think white potatoes, fruit and rice are better than sweet potatoes as the fiber seems to cause me problems and others have this problem as well.

AceRimmer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Question:
    Male, 22, 169lbs
    hitting the wall on my interval runs at the 30minute mark out of the 40-45minutes. Training at 75%max HR (max HR is 198)
    Already relatively lean, small pouch of "maybe cortisol related" on lower abs but need energy...thoughts? quinoa?sweet potatoes?
    If you do intervals, than you should go much higher than 75% max during interval part, you probably mean 75% is your average. However, bananas and potaotes with small amount of lean meat (no FAT!) post workout works great for me.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    More carbs man... I have 150-200 a day and I'm not even near 10% of your level of exercising. That's why your tank is super depleted.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to add that I did notice you said you hadn't incorporated coconut oil much yet. I run, am a 4-hour marathoner, not all that fast, and I'm not doing any really tough/long training right now as I'm coming off an injury, but I have been having 1-2 T of coconut oil before going out to run (I run first thing in the AM) instead of the toast or banana I used to have and I'm finding it works fine so far. I will either put it in my coffee or else just put it in a small container, melt it and drink it like a shot....some people like to just eat a spoonful of it, too, I guess!

Anyway, I think everyone else here is right, you will benefit from more carbs, but this is just something else you could add in to see if it helps, too.

Best wishes!

dabello1125 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oddly enough, I have reduced my carbs (<50g/day) in an effort to become more ketonic while I am trying to drop another 10 pounds of fat, and have not hit any walls since I got through another mini carb hangover. Recently rode an average 20mph pace over 67 miles with no bonk. I have increased my protein and fat intake over the last two weeks and I am noticing significant improvements. I have been reading much about endurance athletes "protein loading" instead of "carb loading" and have seen mixed results by others. Giving it a shot right now and it seems to be working for me so far.

I have not yet picked up any coconut oil but I will soon! I promise!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234