Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Endurance tank is empty, keep hitting the wall page 3

dabello1125 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I am going to plan on some sushi with white rice for tonight to see how the rice makes me feel. Any objections to that? I am on a rest day today so I am not planning on any large or dense meals.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I do sushi with rice occasionally. I think it is fine, but you have to see how it suits you.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Phkemp is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabello1125 View Post

Any suggestions or feedback is well appreciated! I have read "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" and it seems very contradictory to the paleo lifestyle. But as I am reading it for a second time, it seems like it may be making more sense for someone like me.
    I think you answered your own question!

The primal lifestyle, remember, is about not being a marathon runner and enduring the abuse that requires. It's about being all-around "fit" and participating in lots of activities.

Not that I think people who want to compete in triathlons and marathons should stop if they enjoy it so much. But I personally, rather than running 25 hours a week, would rather spend several hours hiking, mountain biking, a light run or two, playing pickup flag football, and so on. 'Playing', as Mark calls it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phkemp View Post
    I think you answered your own question!

The primal lifestyle, remember, is about not being a marathon runner and enduring the abuse that requires. It's about being all-around "fit" and participating in lots of activities.

Not that I think people who want to compete in triathlons and marathons should stop if they enjoy it so much. But I personally, rather than running 25 hours a week, would rather spend several hours hiking, mountain biking, a light run or two, playing pickup flag football, and so on. 'Playing', as Mark calls it.
    I do like to play. Soccer and frisbee are two of my favorites. I swing a few kettlebells here and there, general weightlifting, etc. I also like to run, bike ride and swim. Put the last three together and you've got a triathlon. I am always playing, especially since I have two boys that are 5 and 6 years old. I'm just going to have to start tweaking my intake a little more to see what works and what doesn't. Maybe the "80/20" rule may benefit me more than nearly 100% paleo.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You may find this thread on starchy carb sources helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19263.html

I agree w/ all the other posters. Add in more primal carbs and see if that helps. Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, plantains, taro, etc etc etc. Also fruit, including bananas etc. if you feel good with it. Stay gluten free if you can (and grain free ftmp--white rice has been discussed a lot and is accepted by some paleo/primal folks over brown rice b/c it is a great source of straight starch w/out the antinutrients found in brown rice. But it is not necessary to add rice in order to up the carbs--there are many primal carb sources to pull from w/out resorting to grains.)

HTH! Please let us know if this helps! I've seen over and over again that some very physically active people and those already at their goal weight feel better adding in more primal carbs. (Remember, Mark says 100-150g a day for folks in the maintenance range. If you are doing LOTS of physical activity he recommends adding even more, up to 100g per every extra hour of training hard...)

The idea in the PB is to limit your carbs to only those you need to provide glucose for the brain and for some reasonable amount (certainly less than an hour) of occasional anaerobic exercise. And the truth is, you don’t even need glucose to fuel the brain. Ketones from a very-low carb diet work extremely efficiently at that task. Either way, ideally, we would like most of our daily energy to come from dietary or stored fats. Typically, (if you are at an ideal body composition now) I use a rule of thumb that 100-150 grams of carbohydrate per day is plenty to keep you out of ketosis (and ketosis is NOT a bad thing) but away from storing the excess as fat if you are the least bit active. Don’t forget that your body can make up to 200 grams of glycogen from fats and protein every day, too. On the other hand, if you are looking to lose body fat, keeping carbs to under 80 grams per day will help immensely in lowering insulin and taking fat out of storage. On the other other hand, if you are insistent on training hard for long periods of time, you would add more carbs (say, 100 per day extra for every extra hour you train hard). It becomes a matter of doing the math and experimenting with the results.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Karma is offline Senior Member
    two words - SWEET POTATOES

If you are going to train for endurance you need to bump up the carbs. I coach a lot of folks who are competing at Ultra-distance running and long course triathlon and those who go full paleo and do not bump up the carbs bonk on a regular basis. Once we get them eating SP, cashews, Raisins, dates and figs while training they see performance return. On average, a long training day, such as the long run of 2.5 hours or 100 mile bike ride, carb intake will be in the range of 400-600 grams. I use the protocols used by Freil and Cordain in "Paleo for Athelte's" and its a pretty good model for folks who want to be as close to paleo as possible and still train for endurance. Ben Greenfield just published an e-book called the REV diet. Its pretty well balanced and should work when put into practice. He tends to advocate an anti-inflamatory diet that is pretty close to paleo/primal. Good Luck.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabello1125 View Post
    I think I am going to plan on some sushi with white rice for tonight to see how the rice makes me feel. Any objections to that? I am on a rest day today so I am not planning on any large or dense meals.
    White rice is the least offensive (inflammatory) of the grains and its high in glucose. I have some great runs the morning after a sushi binge.

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    You may find this thread on starchy carb sources helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19263.html

I agree w/ all the other posters. Add in more primal carbs and see if that helps. Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, plantains, taro, etc etc etc. Also fruit, including bananas etc. if you feel good with it. Stay gluten free if you can (and grain free ftmp--white rice has been discussed a lot and is accepted by some paleo/primal folks over brown rice b/c it is a great source of straight starch w/out the antinutrients found in brown rice. But it is not necessary to add rice in order to up the carbs--there are many primal carb sources to pull from w/out resorting to grains.)

HTH! Please let us know if this helps! I've seen over and over again that some very physically active people and those already at their goal weight feel better adding in more primal carbs. (Remember, Mark says 100-150g a day for folks in the maintenance range. If you are doing LOTS of physical activity he recommends adding even more, up to 100g per every extra hour of training hard...)
    I think I am seeing where my problems are. My carb intake is around 100-125g per day, maybe 150g on long ride days. But when I spend 3-4 hours at a time on my bike (today I did a recovery ride, 40 miles at about 20mph), I tend to get sleepy, sluggish and a little light headed when I stand up too fast from sitting, after a long ride. I have tried to counter this by eating more during my rides and that helps a little, but overall I think lately I am lacking the vast glycogen stores I need for longer rides.

I added in some white rice tonight with dinner, and I am going to start adding in a couple more sweet potatoes each week. I have the primal blueprint cookbook and I need to start cooking from it more again. I need to reread Paleo for athletes and the Primal Blueprint again. I think I may have gone too strict too soon with my paleo lifestyle and, although I love it and will continue along this path forever, I need to adjust intake a little and play with what may work for me more.

Thanks for the additional tips!

I have read several books and dozens of blogs/websites about primal lifestyle. I have not read the "book." I just picked up The Primal Blueprint today and I have not be able to put it down. I cannot believe I didn't start here!!! Oh well, live and learn. Luckily, I am following the 10 laws pretty well... I think. WE'll see!

runner_79 is offline Senior Member
    Question:
    Male, 22, 169lbs
    hitting the wall on my interval runs at the 30minute mark out of the 40-45minutes. Training at 75%max HR (max HR is 198)
    Already relatively lean, small pouch of "maybe cortisol related" on lower abs but need energy...thoughts? quinoa?sweet potatoes?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast