Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Endurance tank is empty, keep hitting the wall page 2

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Endurance exercise is the only thing we can do that makes us need to eat carbs. Normally you can manufacture enough carb-type energy from whatever else you eat, but endurance depletes your store of glycogen, and that is why you bonk.
    +1000 based on my experience. I tried going very low carb (basically meats, veggies, and not much else) while finishing the back half of training for a half marathon and it was not pretty. I haven't run since -- that's ok because I'm refocusing on how I address the exercise/fitness side of the equation and have been doing more strength work and a lot of walking/swimming/playing like the PBF says to do. I'm going to try my first sprint workout this weekend, I think. I'm also focusing on getting my eating 100% right now and make that into a routine.

I think after I've gained strength and I don't have to think about how I do my eating I can then worry about circling back and doing some running as deep down it's something I really still like to do.

davem is offline Senior Member
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

ciep is online now Senior Member
    dabello, I don't have much to add to the excellent advice everyone's already given, but if you want a pre-run meal suggestion try plantains fried in coconut oil. I've discovered this to be perfect about 2 hours prior to a long run at a relatively strenuous pace. Nothin' but MCTs and primal carbs!

Edit: Admittedly, not so appealing on a hot summer day -- but AMAZING when the weather turns colder.

Plantains fried like that, served with a little sour cream. Ah yeah. A little knob of queso fresco too.

Best stuff on earth right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    dabello, I don't have much to add to the excellent advice everyone's already given, but if you want a pre-run meal suggestion try plantains fried in coconut oil. I've discovered this to be perfect about 2 hours prior to a long run at a relatively strenuous pace. Nothin' but MCTs and primal carbs!

Edit: Admittedly, not so appealing on a hot summer day -- but AMAZING when the weather turns colder.

ciep is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Plantains fried like that, served with a little sour cream. Ah yeah. A little knob of queso fresco too.

Best stuff on earth right there.
    Never tried 'em with sour cream... but I definitely will now.

totally. If you can find a salvadoran place to make it even better. Promise.

dabello1125 is offline Junior Member
    WOW! Being still pretty new to the primal lifestyle, I really wanted to see if I could continue endurosports and primal eating. This story has helped me make the decision to keep at it. I may need to make a few tweaks over time to customize it to my needs but I believe that there is an advantage to the Primal Blueprint and endurosports. Another thing, I am not familiar with "train low, race high" - maybe I missed it somewhere? I will look into that ASAP.

dabello1125 is offline Junior Member
    I am really surprised at the responses I have received here. I have only been primal since the beginning of this year, and I have to say that this is the most helpful of any forum I have ever used. That includes forums from tech sites, cycling and sports gear sites, and just about anything else. The community here seems very tight-nit and knowledgeable. Thanks again for your help!

One other thing, growing up in south Florida, plantains are very common and easy to find and I have always hated them. But then again, I always ate the ones made by others. I am going to try experimenting with them again for sure now. And, one thing I have yet to really incorporate is coconut oil. It seems that I may be missing out as well!

When I started this I was just over 250lbs in January. I am now right at the 200lb mark and have never felt better and continually strive to maintain about a 90% or more paleo diet. It has become second nature to me now and that is what I was looking for. No more crash diet, starve diet, new diet of the week, yada yada.

Thanks again for the advice and if there is more to be had out there, feel free to share it with me!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    You might look at Phil Maffetone's approach. He's had great success coaching triathletes. Basically, you eat primal and train initially(3-5 months) at a relatively low heart rate to build a good base. Once the base is established, then you add some anaerobic work. There's a really good chance that you're training at too high an intensity without a proper base. That leads to bonking, inflammation, overtraining, etc. You don't want to go there.

The downside of the approach is that it's pretty much impossible to do a group ride unless you find a buddy who is in the same place you are.

Gordo

Yeah, when I read that I decided to train for a tri.

Train low, race high is apparently approach to carb loadout - I think there's a link in that article about it. As far as I understand, you train with low quantity of carbs in daily diet, then you carb load prior to the race in order to have a full flush of fuel to burn for the race.

I could be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabello1125 View Post
    WOW! Being still pretty new to the primal lifestyle, I really wanted to see if I could continue endurosports and primal eating. This story has helped me make the decision to keep at it. I may need to make a few tweaks over time to customize it to my needs but I believe that there is an advantage to the Primal Blueprint and endurosports. Another thing, I am not familiar with "train low, race high" - maybe I missed it somewhere? I will look into that ASAP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast