Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt, Bananas, Sweet Potatoes, Coffee, etc.: Primal/not primal, & why? page

stephensmith is offline Junior Member

Yogurt, Bananas, Sweet Potatoes, Coffee, etc.: Primal/not primal, & why?

Primal Fuel
    This is my first visit to this forum, but I've been Primal in my diet for more than a year. For the most part I have ingrained (no pun intended) what to eat and not eat. Most days I am 95 to 100% Primal. However, there are a few specific foods that I eat that I suspect are either not Primal, or Primal only in moderation or in special circumstances.

Can someone say Primal or not Primal for the following, with the reason? I sure would appreciate it.

Sweet Potatoes: Man, I have come to love these. They're cheap, and when I slather them in butter, absolutely delicious. I think Mark has written that these are good for heavy exercisers (which I am not!) to get their needed extra carbs. What about other people? I notice that most of the other paleo diets specifically include sweet potatoes in their "forbidden" list.

Bananas: These are a great "platform" on which to spread my almond butter. But they are one of the higher-carb fruits, right?

Apples: Same as with bananas.

Coffee: I drink lots of it, probably more than most people could fathom. There may be good health reasons for cutting back, but I'm interested in hearing a Primal reason why. I drink it black, so any carbs or calories are either non-existent or negligible.

Yogurt: I mostly use it to make an occasional smoothie -- with bananas! I do try to choose a brand that has few or no added ingredients.

Cheese: A slice for a snack now and then. Good? OK? Bad?

Thanks to anyone who can set me straight on these! Even if some of them are "not Primal," and I continue to indulge them anyway, at least I'll do so knowingly.

Steve

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I think a lot of it is YMMV. Some people do better on more carbs, some on less. Others are sensitive to certain items. I really like sweet potatoes and would have them 1-2 times a week prior to my leptin reset.

Bananas and apples....bananas are sugary as hell and apples are meh, so I tend to avoid both. If I eat fruit it is usually berries.

Yogurt - I like the full fat fage and use it as a treat - it is my primal ice cream

Cheese - on occasion mainly because I am not a huge cheese guy.

Coffee...yeah, I use about 3-4 pounds a week. To say I drink a lot would be an understatment.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Bolivar is offline Senior Member
    All are fine really, it depends on your goals. If you want to lose weight, then most would say watch the carbs (Fruit, taters). But if you find you maintain weight well, or are training then everything on the list is fine.

Coffee effects alot of people in many ways, If I recall black coffee has no ill effects on insulin either so you're good to go. Just don't go mad and have like 10 cups a day . Coffee with whipped cream is rather nice, and can sometimes be a meal in of itself.

I hit the weights 3x a week, and going VERY low carb is absolutely no go, believe me i've tried. Drained feeling and overall weak. I now have potatoes post workout, and even sometimes on non workout days. I find they give me enough to get power in the gym. Don't be afraid of carbs, but then again, don't go crazy (that's why we're primal, right?! )

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Just don't go mad and have like 10 cups a day .
    Cutting down to that little too quickly would be mad
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

andygt02 is offline Junior Member
    I don't eat bananas, sweet potatoes, or apples, but coffee, greek yogurt, and cheese are another matter.

Greek yogurt - I eat this every day. It's become an obsessive after dinner "treat" for me that feels like I'm eating a bowl of ice cream. The brand I get (Fage Total) is loaded with healthy fat, protein, only has 7 carbs per cup. I suspect it has even less than that since sugar is used up during the fermentation process. Sometimes I feel like I eat too much of this (it's 310 calories a cup), so when I feel like I'm not making any progress I'll mix it with the 2% variety to cut down the calories.

Coffee - I get a small cup of hazelnut with cream and no sugar on the way to work in the mornings. At 60 calories and 2 carbs per cup, it's not a big deal.

Cheese - I don't go out of my way to eat it, but I'll probably end up having it with 2 - 3 meals in a week. Sliced mozzarella and tomatoes with balsamic vinegar over the top is awesome.

canio6:

Thanks for the reply.

Some weeks I eat a sweet potato every day for lunch. Zap it in the microwave, split it and let butter melt all over it. It satisfies my hunger and is often the only thing I'll eat between breakfast and dinner. What is YMMV, by the way?

I like berries, too, but ounce for ounce they are way more expensive than apples or bananas (I think). Plus, it's hard for me to spread almond butter on them!

Re: Yogurt -- what is "fage?" I see that word a lot in these forums. Is it a brand?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Coffee effects alot of people in many ways, If I recall black coffee has no ill effects on insulin either so you're good to go. Just don't go mad and have like 10 cups a day
    Oh, there's danger of me drinking 10 cups a day. I'm up to 20 or more now!

Steve

andygt02:

Thanks for replying, and for clarifying that Fage is a brand. I'll have to look for it. We have some pretty good stores here (Chapel Hill, NC) for that sort of thing, so someone should have it.

Steve

andygt02 is offline Junior Member
    You may have to search around for the full fat variety - it taste the best, but it's much harder to find than the others. If you can't find it, the 2% isn't bad. Avoid the fat free ones. Most Greek yogurt in stores is fat free because that's what sells.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    YMMV = your mileage may vary - it means find out what works for you.

I have all the items you mention - although if you are having that much coffee it sounds like you are relying on caffeine to push yourself through. Check your sleep patterns and maybe try cutting back a bit on coffee. Do it slowly though or you will get massive headaches from the caffeine withdrawal.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast