Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom had a heart attack... page

mcsnick is offline Member

Mom had a heart attack...

Shop Now
    I am sitting in the hospital room with my 58 year old mom who had a heart attack 2 days ago. She had a stent (sp?) put in and just got out of the ICU. My mom was not overweight and had no idea her arteries were clogged. I am scared to death for her. She is entrenched in CW. The people who are with me, namely my dad, and my mom are in the school of thought that what the doctors/nutritionists say is gold. The menu here has MARGARINE on it, along with many other disgusting things-- low fat this and that. My dad is still things anything low fat = healthy. Pretzels? Sure! Turkey sandwich? You can't get any healthier! I plan to give them copies of the PB and maybe they will watch Fathead with me. It's just.... this is a passion to me, but to them, it's not. Plus, I am scared to tell my mom to get healthier she should eat fat. That sounds absurd to tell a heart patient that. I have to get the point across that it's not just more fat, it's fat in place of carbohydrates. Has anyone been through this? What do I do? My head is spinning.
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Question.....has she been eating low fat and high grain up until this diagnosis?

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Well first off, sad news. I watched my Dad die from the basic SAD 14 years ago but then he was 74. You should focus on the situation at hand and worry about the diet changes later when you head is more clear and not emotionally charged. IMHO. THe main concern is Mom and keep her calm. Then I would say you gather the evidence and slowly try to change them both! You at least have a great opportunity now to get her and your Dad to renew their ideas about what is good and what is bad for them. After all Mom look where your diet got you so far! Time for a change! :-)

Good Luck and best wishes!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Irrebecca is offline Junior Member
    I'm so sorry.

The one thing that helped me get through to my mom about the doctors is by asking her a simple question. "What do you call the guy that graduated last in medical school?" Answer: Doctor. Doctors are people and they make mistakes and can be completely wrong about everything. I work with doctors (specifically surgeons) and I'm shocked by how many times I'm watching a procedure and thing "God why do they let this person touch people with sharp things."

I hope that you can get through to your parents. I would say leading by example is always a good idea.

Good luck.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that. My dad has had two heart attacks and stents put in and he's not even 50 yet. He knows that his diet is not good and he knows how I eat, but I haven't really pushed him to change because I don't think he would.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope everything works out for her.

I agree with Littlesigh, focus on the now and worry about your Mom's diet when this is over.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsnick View Post
    I am sitting in the hospital room with my 58 year old mom who had a heart attack 2 days ago.
    I'm so sorry to hear it. I've no real suggestions. These situations are so difficult, because people are told the wrong things.

I'm not sure Mark's book is the right place to start. I gave one to my nephew, and I don't know whether he'll read it, but he might. Someone who's older and ill isn't necessarily going to start a reasonably hefty book that looks like it might not be aimed at them. I mean it mentions diet on the cover, but she's not actually looking for a food-plan. And, anyway, what more comes over is a ripped-looking guy on the cover that talks about what "you thought you knew about ... exercise".

I think you might try an approach along the lines of "do you know they think sugar might be the problem now?" I think you might suggest that and hand her a copy of Gary Taubes' article "Is Sugar Toxic" from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...pagewanted=all

I think if you can grab someone with something short that doesn't ask much of their time you can sometimes, as it were, "get a foot in the door". Taubes' article does directly address her problem:

If Lustig is right, it would mean that sugar is also the likely dietary cause of several other chronic ailments widely considered to be diseases of Western lifestyles — heart disease, hypertension and many common cancers among them.
    I would try that myself.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    I feel for you. My mom's husband (thin and active) had his first heart attack a few years ago and had a stent put in. He was instructed to eat a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet and to take Lipitor (and some other pill, can't remember the name right now). After doing all that, he had another heart attack last year. I gave him info that goes against CW about heart health, but he is stuck on listening to his doctor.

Don't give up trying to help your mom and gently showing her the research. Maybe one day PB and its dogma will "click" for her.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry! It's deeply frightening when someone you love is hit so hard. Your mom has my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I echo what people have said about taking it slow. If you end up showing her the Taubes article that Lewis linked and she responds well to it, you might also show her Lustig's lecture: ‪Sugar: The Bitter Truth‬‏ - YouTube

Lustig does a good job of laying out the physiology and biochemistry behind what sugar does while still keeping it fairly accessible. Good luck to you and your family!

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    I think that things change after a cardiac event.

There is significant, legitimate doubt placed on conventional wisdom in regarding diet and cholesterol and PREVENTION of heart disease.

Conventional wisdom states that lowering your cholesterol, and eating low fat diets helps reduce your risk of developing heart diesease.

However, a lot of these assumptions, regarding PREVENTION of heart disease are based from extrapulating data about prevention of future cardiac events from patients who already have heart disease.

SO... while the data about conventional diets and PREVENTION of heart disease in healthy people may be on shakey ground... The conventional wisdom about people who already have heart disease is on firmer ground.

I am not saying that it's right... Not saying that it's wrong... Just saying that the application of conventional diets to people with heart disease is probably wiser (not necessarily wise... just wiser) than application of conventional diets to healthy people.

All that aside... I am not really sure that this is a battle you want to fight.

You will likely be standing alone against cardiologists, nutritionists, other relatives bringing over printouts from the web sites of the Mayo clinic, AMerican heart association, numerious education and research facilities... Not to mention your mom's long held beliefs and fears.

Is this a battle you think you will win?

And even if you DO win it and your mom starts following a 100% primal lifestyle... And even if, contrary to all conventional wisdom, this is the best thing for her... It's still not going to be a cure for everyone. God forbid: Dispite all these efforts, and even if EVERYTHING is done 100% right (whatever that may be), additional events may still happen.

Under those circumstances, do you want to be the one who stood against the advice of everyone else?

Maybe you do. I cannot answer that.

Please don't think I am telling you... or... really... advising you on what to do. This is a personal decision. Right or wrong: I am just providing you with a few more points of view for you to make your decsion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast