Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unfortunately typical end-of-life story page

milly3 is offline Member

The unfortunately typical end-of-life story

Primal Fuel
    My great uncle passed away last night.
    He was in a nursing home for two years; well, he alternated regularly between that and the ICU. He was on over a dozen different medications. He hadn't eaten a meal in a year-- he was fed through a feeding tube. This followed a decade of slow decline beginning with a broken hip and knee replacement at age 65. I will miss him so much but I know he was in pain for a long time, and he's at peace now.

But what I also know is that THIS is typical now. This is how most people-- people with vibrant spirits and beautiful families and lots left to do-- end up living their last decade or more!
    A lot of our food issues and "healthy advice" began in the 1960s. Those 60s children are getting to the age of decline, and we're only seeing the beginning. It is such a horrible thing. I don't know what to do with it, except keep urging my parents to think critically about their health...and stay on track myself. No one's life needs to end like that.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I live in a city that has a lot of elderly. (It's small and has a heavy police presence, people move here to DIE apparently)
    I see people in wheelchairs/mobility scooters a lot...with breathing tubes, grossly obese, barely able to lift an arm. So weak they have trouble breathing.

I never, ever want to end up like that!

I remember when my healthy as a horse grandfather injured himself on the farm. He had a typical farmer's diet, lots of fresh food, bacon and eggs every morning, lots of protein/fat. Basically primal with the occasional toast. Anyway, they dragged him off to hospital and started feeding him well, what amounts to 'gruel'. My poor Koro just got weaker and weaker, and lost so much weight. My last image of him was a bag of bones with tubes. RIP Koro John. The hospital was what killed you.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss, Milly.

Also, word.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to read this Milly (and Nion).

Nion, one of my EMT partners used to say "people survive despite health care here."
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post

Nion, one of my EMT partners used to say "people survive despite health care here."

Too right.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post

Definitely all this all around.

I'm sorry for both of your losses.

I've first decided that if I ever have to be admitted to a hospital for anything I will ask for both a kosher and gluten free meal. I've also decided that if I ever, for any reason have to go into a nursing home, I will kill myself first. Theyr'e not "nursing" back to health, they're slowly killing you. My grandmother spent the last 6 years of her life in one of those places and suffered from 4 strokes and substantial dementia to where she could only speak German. She reverted back to being a kid. Our health care system doesn't give a crap about us anymore and we're finding that out more and more everyday. Makes me sick to be an American because of this.
    Georgette

Violette is offline Senior Member
    It's not limited to The States and Canada. Thanks for bring this up for all to see.

Violette is offline Senior Member
    Anybody know of a place where nursing care is better?

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I've heard good things about health care in Norway.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is not only about diet. It's also about old people being removed from active society through forced retirement, then alienation from family by shipping them off to a retirement home. Those things crush the spirit, and a crushed spirit does not nurture a healthy body either.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast