Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Swimming Pool page

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member

Backyard Swimming Pool

Primal Fuel
    My family has an in-ground pool, about 25-30 feet long, 12-15 feet wide, and it slants down to about 6 feet. I haven't utilized it for fitness yet, but I've been seeing a lot of talk on here about the benefits of swimming. With the length of the pool, however, I can't really do sprints. I haven't really tried, but I would guess a full-sprint swim would take me 6 seconds from end to end. Is that long enough to really get a good workout? Maybe do a sprint down, easy stroke back, repeat for X time?

Also, are there any explosive moves I can do in the pool? Hand to heart, I've thought about putting on ankle weights, jumping in the deep end, and trying to jump my way out. Very stupid idea haha. I've also seen videos of guys jumping out of waist-high water, but I'm not quite to that level....and it doesn't look very safe.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cameron
    Last edited by CoS; 08-04-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Perfect all the strokes. I have an above-ground 18' round pool and going around in a circle doing a frog kick is exhausting. I think it's because I never learned how as a kid so getting those muscles and such to work in different ways, and keep moving, and not drowning, gives a good work out.

I don't know if this is an ACTUAL workout, but it gets my heart thumping and I have fun.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

CoS
    I've never really tried "all the strokes", but that may factor well into my goal of increasing shoulder and flexibility....thanks for the unintentional idea!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Usually a good sprint is 10-20 seconds, so down and back might work.

Otherwise you could run in the water- doing so tends to splash a lot, but the added resistance in addition to the low impact makes it a great workout with low injury rates. Just make sure you stay focused on your form, as a lot of people are afraid of splashing so much and try to keep their arms above the water. Bad form.

CoS
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Usually a good sprint is 10-20 seconds, so down and back might work.

Otherwise you could run in the water- doing so tends to splash a lot, but the added resistance in addition to the low impact makes it a great workout with low injury rates. Just make sure you stay focused on your form, as a lot of people are afraid of splashing so much and try to keep their arms above the water. Bad form.
    Would a low, squat run be what I'm going for? I also read somewhere that squat jumps in the water can be tough, without the downward impact of the landing.

fayelooper is offline Junior Member
    I love freestyle swimming. I can't do the back strokes. But i am practicing it. Definitely that swimming pool can be utilized for fitness.
    "We never know the worth of water till the well is dry."
    Faye@ pool covers ~**~ swimming pool pump

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I don't see why you can do laps for sprints, you just have to make your turn around fast so your heart rate stays elevated (those fancy flips are something I don't think I will ever get down). Working on strokes is something I thought I'd try to do this summer as well, but I've been out of the pool/gym for over a month now.

The resistance of the water is great for any kind of strength gain, young or old, weak or strong, you just have to figure out how to make it work for you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

dado Guest
    take a log or big stick and wield it like a lightsaber under water, this will train your body because it combines object manipulation in natural movements along with the resistance of the water pool. maybe you pretend in your mind you are yoda or luke skywalker oh yeaa

if you are savvy, try to build a real lightsaber this would be omgz kewl.

CoS
    I haven't even used my pool in over a month haha. I'm ashamed. I did go on vacation a few weeks ago and my cousin (who is a state competition swimmer) showed me the proper form on the strokes. Once you do them correctly, I could see how they would be a great workout. Thursday is my off day from lifting/sprinting, so I may hop in for a few turns.

fire50 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fayelooper View Post
    I love freestyle swimming. I can't do the back strokes. But i am practicing it. Definitely that swimming pool can be utilized for fitness.
    I also have keen interest of swimming and after a massive effort I can't backward swim too.

surfboard rentals gold coast
    Last edited by fire50; 01-05-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast