Thread: Ketosis Side Effects page

eyemkeith is offline Junior Member

Ketosis Side Effects

Shop Now
    Hi.

I know ketosis has been talked about a lot on this forum. I think I've read nearly all of it, searching for an answer to my questions. I've gotten lots and lots of good information about ketosis-- the whens, the whys, the ins and the outs -- but what I haven't been able to glean is when two particular side effects go away, if at all.

Forgive me if this has been covered and I just missed it, but I currently have both the unpleasant side effects from ketosis -- the metallic taste in my mouth that is akin to having a sucrose-laden tin foil ball in my mouth AND the "cat pee'' sweat smell, which is also lovely.

I've been on this diet now for about 5 months, and I'm zeroing in on 30 lbs. shed so far, which is lovely. And I feel great, generally speaking.

But, dude, when does the cat pee smell go away, if at all? I've had that now for months, and it doesn't show signs of letting up.

The metallic taste actually just started this week, which I found odd. And at first, I thought I was tasting the after-effects of the air fresheners my wife keeps basically following me around with because of my foul sweat smell. But then it didn't go away, and finally figured out that I was now getting the other ketosis present.

I like shedding the weight. I like the new relationship with food. I like feeling good and not worrying about counting calories and crap. But these two things, they go away after a certain point, yes?

Oh, what to do?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I did keto for 7 weeks back last year. Ah, the side effects.

Awful breath? Check.
    Weird metallic taste in saliva? Check.
    Smelly urine? Check.
    Overall lack of energy for intense workouts? Check.

Don't get me wrong, I felt physically fine on ketosis, but doing sprints or lifting heavy weights was a bitch. The biggest side effect of all is the lousy food choices. Great, so I get meat, some nuts, a little cheese and 2 cups of spinach a day...yea...that's great.

Why are you doing keto? Why not eat 50-70g of carbs a day? You should still see fat loss but you'll actually be able to enjoy your meals since vegetables are back on the table. You can't even eat a reasonable salad on keto. I eat 15g of carbs worth of lettuce in my lunch salad alone. Since I'm not going to eat a stick of butter for a snack, if you're hungry, you're pretty much relegated to meat, which puts you into too high levels of protein which has the same insulinogenic problem as carbs. I wouldn't do keto again...
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Bobandy is offline Junior Member
    I'm in the same boat, about a month into eating primal.

I've known about the metal taste and the bad breath. I was a big sugarfree gum chewer before going primal (from quitting smoking), and cant quit the habit because of my breath. I think the next step is to keep a mini bottle of mouthwash handy.

I never thought about the funky BO, but I think I get that too. Its summer and I've been working in a super hot unventilated abandoned warehouse (starting demolition), and I come home every day smelling pretty funky. I thought it was just the nasty warehouse funk rubbing off on me, but maybe not.

Not quite is bad, is that I've noticed my urine is pretty funky too, and it quite a bit yellower then it has been in the past. Not sure if its related, but just an observation.

I have been told by my brother-in-law, who has sort of been my primal mentor and got me started, that it does go away.

But I think we can both agree that the benefits out weigh these symptoms. Gum and deodorant!

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    I have the ammonia smell to me, I was told to eat more fat?
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

eyemkeith is offline Junior Member
    I should point out, also, that I do eat my veggies. Yesterday for lunch, actually, was an enormous salad. I don't normally eat breakfast, but nearly always have some kind of veggie with dinner, too. So I'm not intentionally putting myself into a ketoic (sp?) state.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Add some Primal carbs if it bothers you. No need to stay in ketosis to lose body fat.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    its really simple, DRINK MORE WATER!

your urine should have very little color, if its very yellow that is a sure sign you arent drinking enough
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    its really simple, DRINK MORE WATER!

your urine should have very little color, if its very yellow that is a sure sign you arent drinking enough
    Or you are peeing out a lot of excess B-vitamins, which is not necessarily a sign of dehydration at all.

jeniferose1 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There are various side effects of ketosis such as headache, mental dullness, temporary dizziness, nusea and diarrhea. One major side effect is loss of hunger due to which it lowers the energy level. It also produces bad breath.