Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it with dairy and women? page

Irrebecca is offline Junior Member

What is it with dairy and women?

I think I'm having issues with dairy. It doesn't upset my stomach but just the opposite. I freaking love dairy! Love cheese, LOVE FAGE!, etc. I seem to be stalling with the body progress as far as losing the jiggle. I hear this a lot from the CF community that I sometimes frequent. That if you're a woman and want to get leaner you have to cut out dairy and nuts.

So the question is why is dairy so much more of an issue for women than men? Or is just my imagination that there's a problem at all with women and dairy?

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    It's nothing inherent between women and dairy, except that it's generally harder for women to lean out to the same degree that men are able to do. So, for us ladies, more drastic dietary measures are needed if you really want to lean out, and ditching the dairy is a good way of reducing the caloric intake without sacrificing the fat and protein which you are getting from other sources anyway.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I eat nuts and dairy and I am 123lb at 5'7" - down from 143 or so when I started (and more muscle mass!) They are calorie dense so you do have to be careful with them. I have maybe 1/4 c cream and 1/2 c greek yogurt and no more than a handful or 2 of nuts (like 10-20 almonds). Women have a harder time dropping weight, period.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I'm still bigger, however I seem to be losing with eating dairy. I don't touch nuts however. I prefer to have "real" food.
    Georgette

electricfish is offline Junior Member
    I've been eating mostly Primal (except for a few meals on my vacation last week) and upping my activity level for about six weeks now and have lost a grand total of 1 pound. However, my tummy is flatter and the "apple" around my middle is starting to show signs of turning back into an hourglass. My intuition tells me that nuts are my culprit. I've never been able to lose weight while eating nuts, so I'm not sure why I thought Primal would be any different in that respect. I don't want to give up dairy unless I absolutely have to. I only eat 1/2 cup of greek yoghurt 2-3 times a week, plus a moderate amount of aged cheeses, so it's not like dairy is a mainstay of my diet (except the 1/4 cup of half & half in my coffee every morning, which Mark can come pry out of my cold, dead hands, lol).

I'm cutting out the nuts for a couple weeks to see if that changes anything. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try losing the dairy, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I can drop bread & pasta and never get a single craving, but I do get cravings for dairy, especially around my totm.

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrebecca View Post
    I think I'm having issues with dairy. It doesn't upset my stomach but just the opposite. I freaking love dairy! Love cheese, LOVE FAGE!, etc. I seem to be stalling with the body progress as far as losing the jiggle. I hear this a lot from the CF community that I sometimes frequent. That if you're a woman and want to get leaner you have to cut out dairy and nuts.

So the question is why is dairy so much more of an issue for women than men? Or is just my imagination that there's a problem at all with women and dairy?
    possibly you have a lactose sensitivity? which could cause water retention and what not....
    I also like dairy and it doesn't make me feel gross (like ppl with lactose intolerance) but i know i don't go in the right direction with it.
    Like i can't do cottage cheese or GY...
    I can do HnH/HWC in coffee or on fruit and cheese on salad/eggs.....
    I think the difference there is the portion - added to something versus the main component?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Dairy has more carbs than meat, and it is often sweetened or eaten with fruit. In my experience, I simply like it more than eating meat. And we've all been to a degree impacted by the "Yogurt is a Source of PROTEIN!" idea. So, a lot of us ate yogurt for years as a source of protein, but super-low cal food. Men with their higher calories allowance went for meat. So, a habit. They also say women produce less of a serotonin - a happy/satisfied hormone. The release of that hormone is allegidly triggered by eating simple sugars. It maybe connected to women having a higher craving level for sweets, and less success & less satiation on the high fat diets. Hence, we tend to want to eat low fat yogurt with fruit more than eggs and bacon.

Whatever.

Thing is, any theory is only as good as it applies to you personally. I've never had lactose issues and I like my weight (but want to reduce fat if I can), but I am thinking of cutting dairy for the next 3 months to see if I notice any difference at all.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-04-2011 at 10:29 AM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I do not know why the difference between men and women, but I do notice a lot of women eating yogurt ... which the men don't seem to go for. What's up with all the yogurt and cottage cheese, ladies?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is inflammation and its role in difficulty shedding pounds.

Georgette, you may find that you'll get to the point once you've dropped more weight that the things that worked for you in the beginning don't anymore. It happened to me, and quite a few women here.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I don't touch nuts however. I prefer to have "real" food.
    Pardon?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Pardon?
    Nuts are for chipmunks and squirrels.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast