Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to Look for When Dairy-Free? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

What to Look for When Dairy-Free?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I am finally mentally ready to freeze my kefir grains for 3 months and go dairy-free (so far I was eating my home-made quark (soft unprocessed cheese made from kefir) almost daily). I always want to find out for myself if a certain exclsuion is necessary for me personally or not. What do I look for as the signs that cooping without dairy is the Good Thing for me? Does it impact energy level or digestion or something else?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    For me:
    All sorts of ear, nose, throat funk-b-gone. No hocking up morning crud. Hardly ever have to blow my nose anymore. No itchy ears.

Also, no farting. No itchy skin. Improved/now nonexistent rosacea. Increased weight loss.

I have not noticed any difference in my energy. Sleep has improved via lack of itchiness and mucus getting caught in my throat or nose--I feel less bothered.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

teamommy is offline Member
    If you have continued gas and bloating despite eating a paleo/primal diet then dairy could be the culprit. If you have any digestive ills they should clear up. If you have any skin inflammation you should see some improvement as well. Dairy aggrivates my digestive tract and my skin. I also notice when I eat dairy I have more inflammation in my sinuses. Energy wise I don't see a difference other than less time spent in the bathroom or on the couch in pain. I know one person who reacts to dairy the same way I do and when she went off dairy she suddenly felt a lot less fatigue.

You may not notice a difference until you add dairy back in. Give it a few weeks and add it in slowly to see how your body reacts.

eira is offline Member
    I've been off of dairy for three weeks now (whole30) and this last week I've had crazy amounts of mucous. I haven't changed anything in my diet
    Is this related at all? a detox?

Thank you, folks. I will keep an eye for the signs of inflammations you described. I never had any of it in any significant quantity, but if my nose stops running when I eat hot soup or I don't get any break outs ever during the dairy-free period, I will chalk it up for the absense of dairy.

seraphkat is offline Junior Member
    Ditto on many things already mentioned--gone is the weird fullness in my ears that several doctors told me I'd just have to live with. Tummy troubles were also reduced, and come back as soon as I eat anything with dairy in it. Surprisingly too, although I didn't even realize it, my joints were hurting (kind of achy) and that stopped within 1 week of going off dairy.

McSqueeb is offline Junior Member
    Hmm so it's starting to look more and more like dairy is food for cows. Who would have thought?
    These machines feed on the tears of broken lives and dying dreams...

Suki is offline Senior Member
    I don't do dairy at all now but even when I was consuming the grass-fed stuff regularly, I would halt consumption for a few days prior to any competition specifically due to inflammation. My recovery time off dairy is significantly lessened. If you ask any athlete why they cut dairy - and a lot of them cut dairy before competing - they will talk about getting phlegmy while performing. I can't recall experiencing that but a lot of people do.

Interesting. I have never heard about the athletes quitting dairy before competitions. I sweat after drinking milk, but not after fermented stuff (kefir/quark).

Cal
    Cal is offline Junior Member
    It is my understanding that the mucus/inflammation that some experience is caused by casein, which is found in dairy protein. Does this mean that dairy products with 0 protein (i.e. butter and cream) are okay? I'm sure there is a trace amount of casein in them, but is that enough to produce an effect?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast