Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Counting on accountability! page

quidam is offline Senior Member

Counting on accountability!

Primal Fuel
    Hello to anyone who pokes their head in here!

I had been doing well on my primal journey for almost a year when I became lazy for no reason whatsoever. As my health and weight are both backsliding it is time to take drastic action. Being the private person that I am, creating an online journal and attempting to update it daily is very drastic. There's nothing that motivates like the thought that random strangers might be checking in on you and critiquing what you have done for the day. It makes one think twice about eating an entire sheet cake that's been deep fried a, drenched in chocolate syrup, and sprinkled with Poptarts.

A little background: I'm a 31 year old female who lives alone, so there is no family to side track me, only my own stupidity. I work in a warehouse in a half office/half floor job, so I do get some automatic heavy lifting just about every day.

I became primal by accident, actually. I had been vegetarian for awhile and was feeling pretty nasty. I had a need to give into meat, but didn't want to gain more weight than I already had, so decided to cut calories for my day or two of meat eating by cutting out the grains. I planned to go back to pure vegan after 2 days, but on the morning of day 3 , not only did I feel awesome, but I noticed that my bloated gut had been cut down. I started looking things up and ran across this wonderful site, and was amazed at how logical the entire premise was.

My original starting weight a little over a year ago was 213 pounds on a 5'6" frame. I got it down to 153 in about 10 or so months before I became lazy. I'm not certain on my current weight, but I ashamedly admit that I've gained some back.

Besides the weight loss I also cleared up my skin, had more energy, overcame my supposed egg allergy, got rid of a gut that was so bloated that I had been starting to fear ovarian cancer, got rid of the gall stone attacks, and just generally felt amazing.

I am determined to get that all back and even more.

I'll start today off before I head out to work:
    Breakfast was a lovely couple of eggs with bacon and bit of watermelon. I'm packing a lunch of cold chicken, some cheddar, and assorted veggies.
    While breakfast was cooking I cleared out the stash of sugar that had accumulated. I'm looking forward to sugary treats becoming too sweet for my tastes again. I remember the weird moment awhile back of being at a buffet with my parents while I was still fully primal and getting a couple of small desserts. The pudding tasted great, then I took a bite of brownie, and when I went back to the pudding it suddenly had no flavor. It's weird how quickly your taste can demand higher sugar with just one bite.

So, onward and upward, I guess!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back to primal and Good Luck!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thanksies, belinda!

So, today had a very random and amusing primal moment. I had just finished up work for the day when one of the truck drivers randomly hands me a loaf of Italian bread. That's right, on the day I set my mind on being primal again I get a gift of bread. No truck driver has ever given me anything before, let alone bread. It was very random and seemingly conspiratorial.

I have to admit that part of me really wanted to make a sandwich when that loaf was sitting in my hand. But my determination to get back on track kicked in. I've never been a huge bread fan, anyway. Then I remembered that my mom had hit a sale on meat and wanted me to come by to pick some up on the way home, so I traded the bread for some pork chops and bacon. I think I got the better deal!

So dinner tonight did not involve free, random bread. It did involve a pork chop that I cooked with granny smith apple, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice. It also involved a side of brussel sprouts and a few cherries.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    So, onward and upward, I guess!
    You "guess"??? Pfft! You can do it this time. :-)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Yay for pork chops and apple sauce

I'm glad you found something to do with your bread!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    (Bacon + Pork Chops) - Bread = Awesome! Welcome back into the primal fold!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

I'm contemplating eggs this morning.
    My coworkers think that I'm crazy for getting up and cooking eggs for breakfast every morning. I just can't help it. For many years I avoided eggs because I had an "allergy" to them. Any time I ate eggs or had something that had egg as an ingredient I would get an itchy mouth and go into sneezing fits. On a really good day I'd get small hives on my jaw line.

After my first original month of being primal I read about leaky gut causing false allergies. I was curious as to whether that would include food allergies. I didn't have high hopes as egg allergies do run in the family, but I figured an experiment wouldn't kill me, as it's not like I'd go into shock. So I ate eggs one day for breakfast and waited to be miserable, but the misery never came. So, I tried it again the next morning and...nothing. Apparently the "allergy" was all caused by eating grains with the eggs.

Huzzah!
    That is why eggs are now an almost daily affair. I'm making up for lost time. Instead of dipping toast into those runny yolks, bacon or broccoli do just fine, and no sneezing fits need to be involved!

Now it's off to work for the day! I'm packing chicken, cheese, and veggies again. Yesterday one of our vendors sent in a huge veggie and fruit platter. That was a much better offering than the normal bagels or donuts most vendors send!

I pack a tupperware of pre-cooked scrambled eggs and bacon to eat when I get to work nearly every day

I eat mine as is, but I have a co-worker friend who's semi-primal and she reheats her bacon in the shared microwave. The smell drives everybody nuts!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Belinda- It would be awesome if my office smelled of bacon instead of toast in the mornings!

Well, the dreaded moment finally came this morning: I sucked it up and dragged out the scale. It has been a few months so I didn't know how much I had gained back. Last weekend I went to a friend's picnic and they posted photos of me on Facebook afterward. Sure I had looked better than a year and a half ago, but nowhere near as good as about 4 months ago.

4 months ago I was at 153. This morning....171. Yech..... 18 extra pounds to take off on top of what was already still needed.
    I'm currently aiming for 140, so that'll be 31 pounds that need to come off for sure. I may go lower than that, but we'll see how I look there. People in my family tend to look underweight if they hit that "proper" weight/height number.

So, the morning was disappointing, but I'm reminding myself that I started over two days ago, and that I've probably already lost a bit. I am feeling better, that's for sure. Last night I even had a family asking again about how I ate and asking how much I had lost. It's hard to say if they will be swinging over to eat like cavemen too, but at least it gets them thinking about things.

Dinner last night was a lovely delmonico steak, a bit of mozzarella, and a fresh peach.
    Breakfast this morning is bacon and eggs.
    I'm headed out shortly to run errands. I'll probably pack some jerky and an apple. Grocery shopping is today, and it's a good thing: I'm totally out of veggies! I also need to grab some fish and fish oil. The really good meats are, sadly, not in my budget, so I have to get those omega-3s in there.

In non-health related news: I desperately need to re-season my cast iron skillets. My morning eggs are sticking and the yolks are breaking. This makes me extremely sad.

Well, somehow I made it through yesterday's grocery chopping without buying anything unhealthy. It was quite hard, as not only had it become a habit to buy at least one treat, but I was also shopping while hungry.
    The farmer's market stuff is hitting the normal grocery stores in the area. Fresh zucchini and cucumbers from local farms always beat out the long distance stuff that we're stuck with in the cold months. I may head back out today for a couple of fresh, local peaches. That's one thing I will never eat out of season. While the sugar may be there, I doubt that a few peaches will be doing that much damage over the next week or two, especially compared to all of the sweet, non-fruit treats I was indulging on over the few past months.

Last night's dinner was a skillet steak with some sauteed fresh zucchini and mushrooms with a peach.
    I also snacked on some cheese and jerky during the day.

I think I may not be eating quite enough at meals. My tummy's been growling at me a lot these last few days, leading to more snacking than normal. I can't quite remember how big of portions I was making when I was last eating this way. So, breakfast was a bit bigger this morning: eggs, bacon, brussel sprouts, and about half of an apple.

I was also happy to get some rest and a decent amount of sleep last night. I've been much more busy than normal the last week, and it will be going for another week. I'll probably get some time to rest again today, thank goodness! It's going to be an ultra-busy week!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast