Thread: Non-Menhaden sourced fish oil supliments page

guido Guest

Primal Fuel

There was a troubling article in the New York Times about fish oil supplements causing huge pressure on the Menhaden population in the Atlantic. The Menhaden is a small herring like fish that provides the omega-3 oils for lots of larger fish that can't synthesize them for themselves (like tuna, striped bass, redfish and bluefish). They are a critical part of the Atlantic ecosystem. Most of this fishery is under the control of a company called Omega Protein whose take is in excess of a half billion per year. There are reportedly other sources of Omega-3 than the Omega Protein caught Menhaden. Does anyone know of a source for supplements made from these more responsible sources?

Thanks!

Guido

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

There are no "responsible" sources. All of our fisheries are over fished.

Menhaden, at least, is not a suitable food fish for humans, apparently.

Do you have a link to that article?

guido Guest

Sorry forgot that little detail...

Here you go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/opinion/16greenberg.html?ref=opinion

The concern is that by pressuring a vital species lower on the food chain you run the risk of hurting all of the other species that rely on it.

Thanks!

Guido

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Thanks for that link, guido. He is wrong, however, about flaxseed oil subbing for your Omega 3's. Horribly low conversion rate.

There are young sardine sized menhaden out my back door in the bayou. That really surprised me when I found out, talking to some marine biologists doing a snook census and other fisheries counts off of my seawall.

guido Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yes I agree about flax seed oil not being the solution. But finding a lower impact Omega 3 source is still important.