Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (mamaparks) page

mamaparks is offline Member

Primal Journal (mamaparks)

Primal Fuel
    I figured since I am going to give this thing a go for real that I may as well document it all because it can only help right? For those who do not know me- I am Nicole. I am a 24 yr old wife and mom to 2 yr old twins. I am currently 205ish lbs and haven't taken my inch measurements yet. I have been struggling with my weight for 5 yrs now. In highschool I was a twig but that quickly vanished and here I am. I came across this diet while searching for diet books on Amazon. I have been reading on the subject ever since. Figured it is time to try. I will officially begin on Friday as I need to get the food tomorrow. I will be tweaking it to fit my family (no grass fed or organic) budget. Hopefully cutting grains will yield results and then I can see my way to budgeting and extra gas trying to get to the grass fed and organic stuff.

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with this

I personally just try to stick with the correct food types and it seems to be going well for me. Organic is far beyond my budget and I'd rather eat non organically like this than go back to my old diet of junk because I was starving and not able to afford the quantity or types of food I like.

My best advice (apart form buying the book and reading it cover to cover) is to go through your cupboards and get rid of anything that is non primal - I will warn they will look empty - but that way its easy to get through the first couple of days - if you're unsure just box it up and give it to a friend or relative for safe keeping - the key thing is to get the stuff out the house.
    Last edited by Solldara; 08-04-2011 at 03:35 AM.
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing primal since March on a non-organic, non-grass fed, non-pastured budget. And it's working out great! I avoid the animal fat and chicken skin since that's where the Omega 6's would be in non-organics and I just make sure to take a few supplements. I take fish oil, magnesium citrate, B12, Vit D on cloudy days and a multi-vitamin.

The way I see it, I would have been eating the same animal products and produce but with all the other junk, processed foods, and sugars as well. Just by cutting out those last three things I've done a whole lot of good for my body so I don't feel the pressure to 'go green'.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Today is the day! I went shopping for my groceries yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. From all I have been reading I expected a much higher grocery bill but it stayed the same. We are a family of 4 (me, husband, and 2 yr old twins) and we usually pay 150.00 per week for groceries and that is what we paid this week too. I even scored grass fed ground beef, grass fed filet minon, uncured bacon, eggs, organic onions and local tomatoes. I got chicken as well and it was organic. I wasn't planning it this way but we ended up at Earthfare and the ground beef was the same price as the other kind. I already have a kitchen full of spices so I just started with minimal steps in mind. I got a lot of veggies- okra, bell peppers, brussel sprouts, avocados. I also got some blueberries and strawberries and cashews and butter. I figured I just just get myself through this first week taking it easy without recipes and see how it goes.

I took my "before" pictures last night and even though they were less than appealing it is also nice to see how much I can work on. I do not plan to post them until I get some results. I weighed in this morning at 207 lbs even. I am less worried about that number and more about the inches. I have to find my tape measure to take my inches.

I have not read the book yet but plan on reading it this week- just wanted to be proactive in the meantime and get started. Anyone have any advice for me? What other books should I read in addition to the Primal Blueprint? Are there any blogs or websites I should know about? I also was wondering- I have stumbled across a few primal and paleo sites thus far and some people eat dairy and quite a bit of fruit- what is the fruit consumption supposed to be like? Like a handful of berries per day or what?

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Our grocery bill actually went down a bit as we are no longer eating all of the high priced processed foods. How many dozen eggs can you buy for what a box of cold cereal costs you? Also we are eating less because we are eating RIGHT and don't get hungry all the time like we used to.

I'd advise aiming for between 50 and 100g of carbs per day which is recommended by the Primal Blueprint - I don't have dairy a lot of the time or nuts - but besides that I eat when I'm hungry and don't worry about measuring anything - I also walk and swim for 30 mins each per day.

Thanks to that I've lost 2st in 9 weeks and I started at around the same weight you are - so if you're sticking to non processed meat, fish, eggs, veg and berries I wouldn't worry to much on amounts - just stay away from the nuts and the high carb fruit and veg like bananas/potatoes etc if you're after weight loss.

Thanks for the advice Solldara! I woke up this morning with a horrible headache- I really don't get headaches so I think it might be that carb flu everyone talks about. Or maybe a combo of that and sugar withdrawal. I haven't gotten hungry yet today so I haven't eaten. Planning on making some grilled chicken with guacamole served over a lettuce blend for dinner. I put my food totals in fitday yesterday and while I was divided the right way- mostly fat, then protein, then carbs- I only had 12g carbs! So what things should I eat to make my carbs go up? I felt fine yesterday- full after my meals and never had any cravings.

I am really wanting some chocolate cake right now. I have to keep convincing myself this is the right way to eat. I know its sugar withdrawal talking!

Yep the headache from hell can be down to either sugar or caffeine withdrawal - I got it from both - good news is that if you baby yourself a bit its normally gone within 48 hours.

Carb wise - veg and berries - I prefer most berries straight from the freezer which is really nice as they are so convenient and I keep Raspberries, Blueberries, Red-currents and Summer Mix (which also includes Strawberries and Cherries) in my freezer at all times and generally have half a mug which is probably a cup American size most nights as desert. I also keep fresh strawberries in the fridge and grab a couple any time I fancy

Veg wise = all the usual salad vegetables I eat at anytime and I also eat a lot of cauliflower and broccoli either cooked from frozen, or cooked from fresh as cauliflower rice. Add that to the onions, mushrooms and carrots I love roasted and the carbs slowly adds up without any effort but leave you so full that I don't have to worry about counting and messing about.

Re the chocolate cake - grab a load of fresh strawberries instread - tastes far better and actually have some good things in them.

When I started I also had 1/3rd of a bar of 85% Chocolate a night (Green and Blacks was my favorite) which was great apart from the fact it was responsible for giving me acid, which I discovered when I still had acid and lots of people reported (including my Husband) that theirs disappeared within 48hours on this way of eating. As soon as I stopped the chocolate, the acid disappeared for the first time in about 4 years so I'm not going back to 85% Chocolate any time soon.

Also even though Marks not a great fan I personally think drinking quite a lot of water helps at the start, especially as its summer here.
    Last edited by Solldara; 08-07-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well today I woke up without a headache- success I think. Yesterday I managed to eat my way through an entire vosges sea salt caramel bar and had a coke zero... I think telling myself that it was off limits was a bad idea. So from now on I will look at it as an indulgence. On the flip side I still woke up this morning 2 lbs lighter. That gives me the oomph I need to carry on. I feel fantastic I must say- way more energy and less bargaining with myself to get things done. And I am loving my bacon and eggs and guacamole. I am eating fruit as well- I know it says limit it and I am having a peach and some berries everyday because in my mind I need to enjoy them while they are in season and this winter I probably won't eat many fruits at all. I am so glad I tripped over this way of eating because I really think it is the way... I mean I got to eat grouper with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and lemon butter sauce at Carrabba's with no guilt about it whatsoever. I used to sub the lemon butter out for something less fattening- never again. I wasn't even tempted by the bread of my favorite desert while I was there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast