Thread: body weight squats page

saarx1 is offline Senior Member

body weight squats

Primal Fuel
    hi im about to start a two hundred body weight squats program (two hundred squats)
    and i was wondering if instead of puting my hand stick infront of me, can i take a broom and put it like on regular squats? will it still have the same effect?

if you rest a stick on your shoulders instead of holding your hands in front of you, im assuming you will lose the isometric/core benefits derived from holding your hands out. But the purpose of the squat is to SQUAT, so that should be fine.

Main thing is to mantain a good form regardless of which type of squat you chose. If you want to use a stick/bar, i suggest looking into 'starting strength' to learn a proper squat.

Also, look into indian squats for another type of variation. I used to do these very diligently in the past given the right pace, can serve as both a muscular endurance/cardio exercise.
    Last edited by achilles.kealoha; 08-03-2011 at 10:46 PM.

js290 is offline Senior Member

FredFornicola is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Having your arms out in front of you will help with your posture throughout the squat as the arms extended provide you with more balance and allow for a more upright and flat back, allowing you to stay off the ball of the foot and direct more of the focus on the mid foot/heel. I use this method all the time when I'm teaching people how to do bdwt squats and I also highly recommend doing them in bare feet. Performing squats in bare feet allow for better feedback throughout the movement as running/gym shoes have way too much cushion for you to feel the movement. Make sure to push through the feet - not just lift your upper body up - and initiate everything through the feet. A quick tip: When you are in the bottom of the movement, if you pause (as you should for a brief moment), you should be able to wiggle your toes - if you can't, you are too far forward on the ball of the foot.

Keep us updated with your progress.
    www.PremierePersonalFitness.com

"TRAIN WITH A PURPOSE"