Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chocolate SALTY Balls. AKA Delicious Fat Bombs. page

Betho is offline Senior Member

Chocolate SALTY Balls. AKA Delicious Fat Bombs.

Primal Fuel
    Chocolate Salty Balls... they melt in your mouth! And in your hand... actually... These are totally inspired by Batty's Blue(berry) Balls.

Ok so I'm pregnant and I think my unborn son is having a growth spurt because I am craving fat like you would not believe. To solve my problem, I decided to mix these bad boys up and they are totally awesome.

1/2 cup toasted unsweetened coconut, divided
    1/4 cup butter
    1 square (1 oz) your chocolate of choice, chopped. I used baking chocolate.
    1/4 cup almond butter
    pinch sea salt

Melt the butter in the microwave with the chocolate. When the butter is melted, stir and stir the chocolate until it's melted in from the residual heat. Add the almond butter and stir until well incorporated. Add 1/4 cup toasted coconut, mix well and stick it into the freezer to cool and firm up. Meanwhile. pour the rest of the coconut into a plate and add a pinch of salt & mix it all together.

When the chocolate mixture is firm and scoopable, use spoons or cookie scoops to scoop it out and roll it into the coconut. I used a tablespoon sized cookie scoop and it made 9 balls.

Note: Next time I made this I'd add a little more than 1/4 cup of the coconut since there was a lot left over from rolling. The salt is TOTALLY optional but I couldn't call them CHOCOLATE SALTY BALLS if I didn't have salt Actually I think a smoked sea salt would be phenomenal here.

Anyway...

To toast the coconut all I did was throw a half cup of the shredded unsweetened stuff into a skillet and turn it on to medium heat. Stir stir stir so it gets brown and toasty pretty evenly.
    Last edited by Betho; 08-03-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Nutritional breakdown since I was curious...

1 Tbs size ball - 140 calories
    14.1 g fat
    3.6 g carbs (.3g sugars)
    1.8g protein

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    I think I love you. I'm going to try making these this weekend. Thanks for sharing!!

croí is offline Senior Member
    O... M..... G...... ! There's my weekend project!

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Going to give these a try this weekend, minus the almond paste, I'm allergic

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    Going to give these a try this weekend, minus the almond paste, I'm allergic
    Thank you. I was waiting for someone to post that video
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    These sound like the bakeless cookies that my mom makes (we called them Maine Crunchies for some reason), except those used oatmeal ([[cries softly because she cannot eat them anymore]]) and a lot of sugar.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    These sound like the bakeless cookies that my mom makes (we called them Maine Crunchies for some reason), except those used oatmeal ([[cries softly because she cannot eat them anymore]]) and a lot of sugar.
    You know I used to make those cookies too, and I thought the same when I was putting the mix in the freezer to firm up.

My husband and I ate the whole batch to ourselves last night. I'm glad the kids seem to have forgotten I was making them last night He was surprised when I told him I didn't even put honey in them.

Kitoi - I bet they will be just as awesome without the almond. Probably more like a true truffle that way, I imagine. Actually now that I think about it, there's lots of potential there... adding flavor extracts or pureed berries or something.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff if you are wanting to gain!

I will stay faaaaaaaar away though!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    OOH! I'm gonna try this on the weekend too! Rolled in Himalayan Rock Salt!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast