Thread: What to eat the morning of a triathlon? page

zandy is offline Junior Member

What to eat the morning of a triathlon?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there, newbie here.
    I've been following the PB for 2+ months now, and loving it. My question is about fueling for a sprint triathlon.
    Last summer I did my first triathlon (and my second, 'cause I liked it so much). I don't consider myself an athlete by any means, I just wanted to see if I could do it.
    Anyway, the morning of, I would eat 1/2 a peanut butter and nutella sandwich on whole wheat bread, and 1/2 a banana. On the bike portion I would drink a bottle of 1/2 gatorade and 1/2 water. When I got back, before the run, I would drink more of that, plus a couple Clif Shot Blocks (and a couple more of those while on the run).
    So obviously I need a new fuel routine, but what? I still feel like I want some carbs during the tri itself; maybe a 1/2 Recharge (which is made from fruit juice), 1/2 water mix? And what to eat for breakfast? Normally I don't eat anything before about 10:30, including on days I exercise in the morning, but I don't want to do a triathlon on no fuel at all!
    Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    If what you have been eating and drinking works, I would say to stay close to it. It's not like you are doing it every day. Maybe pb on sourdough or sprouted grain bread if they don't give you problems. The important thing is to experiment before the event to see what works. Don't try to be 100% primal. If you can fine. If not, don't sweat it.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

js290 is offline Senior Member

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I was also going to suggest just doing it fasted. Especially if you're not really competing, but just doing it "for fun". Personally, I would probably eat some carbs the night before like a few sweet/white potatoes or some white rice. Or you could just go full-on fatty acid fueled if you're not trying to go really fast.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I was also going to suggest just doing it fasted. Especially if you're not really competing, but just doing it "for fun". Personally, I would probably eat some carbs the night before like a few sweet/white potatoes or some white rice. Or you could just go full-on fatty acid fueled if you're not trying to go really fast.
    Yes. I have done endurance events fasted. I would definitely take some gel, shot blocks or something though.

I have heard that if you want to carb load, the best time is two nights before the event rather than the night before. I have no personal experience to confirm that though.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

albirdave is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Really you should be trying to see what works best in training and not wait till the big event.

I tried various things before events which were suggested in The Paleo Diet For Athletes book before finding what works for me.

I eat scrambled eggs (2) and bananas. Normally 2-3hrs before the start of an event.

It works for me,but we are all different.