Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good brand of protein powder page

innadoom is offline Member

Can anyone recommend a good brand of protein powder

Shop Now
    I'm new to protein powders. I'm looking for whey protein with minimal added crap, no artificial sweeteners, and low sugar (obviously). I heard that quality varies between brands and an equal amount of protein between two different brands might not be an equal amount of protein that you'll get out of one of them. Any recs?

davem is offline Senior Member
    Something I noticed is that you'll get major differences between flavor, quality, and ability to dissolve even within the same product line of the manufacturer. Why use it? The stuff is expensive and well.... meh. Better if you EAT your protein.

On's Whey, Gold Voodoo Hoodoo in chocolate - the cadillac of fakefood. (Good with strawberries in it.)
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I always advocate real food over anything processed, and the more I read the more I think whey protein is a waste of money. I haven't read anything that makes me think it's harmful - I just don't think there are any real benefits.

That being said... you can get some inexpensive whey isolate with or without added "stuff" from TrueProtein.com. I suggest you give it a try and decide for yourself.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    NOW brands pure whey isolate is a popular choice - cheap in bulk on Amazon.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I love this stuff.

NSI Whey Protein Complex Powder with BCAAs Glutamine and Glutamine Precursors Chocolate -- 5 lbs - Vitacost

It's cheap, it tastes great, there are no artificial colors or sweeteners and the only sweetener is stevia and xylitol. No fructose, no evaporated cane juice, etc. It's honestly my favorite natural protein supplement - much better than the big brands. And only 5g carbs, 2 from sugar alcohols.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Something I noticed is that you'll get major differences between flavor, quality, and ability to dissolve even within the same product line of the manufacturer. Why use it? The stuff is expensive and well.... meh. Better if you EAT your protein.

On's Whey, Gold Voodoo Hoodoo in chocolate - the cadillac of fakefood. (Good with strawberries in it.)
    I STRONGLY disagree. I gave up whey for one week and immediately followed up my workout with 100g+ of real protein. Guess what? I was an absolute wreck. I was in more pain than I've ever been in. My legs were sore, my chest hurt, I injured my shoulder, my abs were killing me, my back was tired and I couldn't lift shift. I got back on the whey the very next week and I recovered and healed in a few days. I will never go without whey again. People preach "real protein", but it doesn't do jack shit for your recovery vs whey. My guess is because whey is much more easily absorbed and much more biovailable. Whey scores a 104 on bioavailability - it's the most easily used protein out there, even more than eggs. Beef is a lowly 79 by comparison, and it's better than chicken, pork or fish. Vegetable proteins rank in the 60's. Whey freaking rocks, just get a good natural one.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Choco, also maybe the BCAAs and glutamine in your whey have extra benefits.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone tried prograde - it seems to be pushed (recommended) a lot?

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Dynamatize's Elite Fusion 7 is pretty good, damned tasty and gluten free. It's what I use when I forget that I shouldn't consume casein.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Gold standard unflavored is decent and ok for the price. As one person mentioned, look into BCAAs and if you need recovery supplements post-workout, try L-Glutamine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast