Thread: Fiber Menace page

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member

Fiber Menace

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone read this book? I see it was published in 2005, but this is the first I heard of it. What's the skinny?

Fiber Menace
    by Konstantin Monastyrsky

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    He's very, very amusing, and he has some good points, particularly about the risks of insoluble fiber like bran.

I think that soluble fiber may be more useful in the right amount.

He knows his poop, and has logical reasons to back up his ideas.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    well uhm, ok
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    OK, I'm having a disturbing mental image of the Fiber Monster coming after me!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Go read what he has to say.

Hepcat is offline Member
    Check out his website. What he says makes sense.
    Probably you don't need the book when you read all the stuff on his website.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I wondered if his book had been mentioned here before. Turns out it has. He pops up in the comments to a thread on fibre, and Mark posts in reply:

Konstantin, I have read your book and found it very informative. I have recommended it to many people and do so here again to all reading this post. Glad you visited us here at MDA.
    If Mark recommends it, it's almost certainly worth a read. However, since I already agree that excessive fibre, particularly insoluble fibre, is not a good thing, I shan't be hurrying to get it. I would take a look at gut sense.org but it seems to be down.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I would take a look at gut sense.org but it seems to be down.
    I managed to read some of it by using the Google cached versions and clicking the text-only versions of the pages. Goodness knows what's up with that site.

There's some interesting stuff—insofar as I've been able to read it with the state of the site.

One thing he says is that constipation is common on the Atkins Diet. Now that I hadn't known. He says a low-carb diet is actually what's best for gut health but that people going on the Atkins Diet probably already have gut dysbiosis (from antibiotics and years of bad food) and that they've probably been using dietary fibre to keep stuff moving through them—to do one of the jobs that should be done by one's gut flora. Suddenly take away the carbs and you take away that fibre at the same time and suddenly everything grinds to a halt.

As far as I could tell—as I say I was grabbing what Google-cached pages I could find (and the author does ramble a little rather than staying with the topic implied in page titles)—his solution is to drink kefir.

That sounds like quite a plausible explanation to me.