Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal/Paleo Careers? page

Knarf is offline Junior Member

Primal/Paleo Careers?

Shop Now
    Hey everyone,

I recently graduated from UCLA in biochemistry...and was wondering, besides academic research, if there were any primal/paleo related jobs/internships/careers out there?

Brainstorms appreciated!

~Frank

Lukys is offline Member
    Move to the great barrier reef and do something to do with conservation or snorkelling. Plenty of sun down there and you're surrounded by nature.

And when no one's looking, you could even spear yourself a turtle or two... (that was just a joke. probably best not to do that).

milly3 is offline Member
    ~environmental science consulting jobs are cool...test water, build carbon footprint models, etc
    ~salmon fishing in Alaska
    ~work as a park ranger or guide on the Appalachian Trail
    ~I'm planning to go to medical school and try to nudge other people towards a more primal way of living...I know lots of people here are doing the same with nutrition degrees, physical therapy, etc

Kristy2078 Guest
    You mean jobs/internships that are focused on the primal lifestyle or that are supported by primal lifestyles? If it's the latter, I am thinking sports, heavy duty blue collar jobs, hunters, security-related fields, personal trainers, personal body guards, lifeguards, lumberjacks, forest rangers, and so on.

If it's the pro, I am guessing personal trainers who specialize in nutrition and fitness, since both topics can involve biochemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy2078 View Post
    You mean jobs/internships that are focused on the primal lifestyle or that are supported by primal lifestyles? If it's the latter, I am thinking sports, heavy duty blue collar jobs, hunters, security-related fields, personal trainers, personal body guards, lifeguards, lumberjacks, forest rangers, and so on.

If it's the pro, I am guessing personal trainers who specialize in nutrition and fitness, since both topics can involve biochemistry.
    I don't want to be placed in a desk job sort of deal...and I do want to pick up and move...right now I'm a research associate doing lab/research...which is actually pretty good in terms of not sitting all day, up and about and doing lab work...but something about going onto graduate school (writing grants, being a university/academia slave) doesn't sound too appealing to me. Thoughts? Thanks for the responses.

Liam is offline Member
    Wilderness guides - taking small groups out into the wild for a few days. You could make the food all primal (even forage/hunt while out there). Could make it your own business startup.

We sure need more nutritionists subscribing to primal thinking.

Personal training the Primal way.

Is there anywhere where one can get a nutritional degree that doesn't follow CW? I'm sure there's thread topics here...I think I've seen them.

BryanC is offline Member
    Chained to an Art Board in Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarf View Post
    Is there anywhere where one can get a nutritional degree that doesn't follow CW? I'm sure there's thread topics here...I think I've seen them.
    From the few threads on this that I've read, "play along" with what's being taught, while researching/cramming on your own at night. When you get your official papers, then, well, I suppose you can teach whatever you want
    I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Butcher.

Slaughter house worker.

MP_11 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarf View Post
    Is there anywhere where one can get a nutritional degree that doesn't follow CW?
    I stepped away from CW in about 1992. I looked long and hard for a program that was not hokey. I started a journey towards a Masters in Nutrition at a highly reputable however rather expensive alternative healthcare Uni outside Seattle, WA - the goal was to become a registered dietitian - - - so I could make a difference in schools and hospitals - - - however - - - in going that route - - - prescribing something like primal is OUT! - - - as a RD you HAVE to follow the ADA's prescriptions exactly.

I did this program and loved it. Nutritional Therapy Association No matter how much I know and have studied - - - I felt certification was something people wanted from me.

Nora T. Gedgaudas - of Primal Body - Primal Mind also decided to get certified via this program - she also looked long and hard for the right program for her. It is the best that we are aware of at this time. It follows the practices of Weston Price, Dr. Pottenger and others.

this is where I blog about such things: Pet Rock Studios*|*
    Last edited by MP_11; 08-21-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added Links to Nora T. Gedgaudas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast