Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carrots or butter? page

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hey all!! Im pretty new to PB (less than a month) but tried Zone (albeit not too seriously) leading up to this.

There are some days when I'm "done" with my eating, and I get to 8pm and I'm starving...we're talking growling here. What do I eat? I tried eating fat one day (is that right?) and ate some coconut oil on a spoon. Afterwards my heart started racing like I had a shot of espresso and felt a little ill, granted, I wasn't hungry though.

So when you're hungry and your C/P/F is done for teh day, what do you eat?!!

Also, I do CrossFit 3 times a week and then walk or go for an easy bike ride 2x a week with one full OFF lazy day. I'm trying to shed the last 5 lbs of BF but DONT want to feel drained during workouts. I've been getting stronger, but slower and I feel just tired during fast workouts.

Help!! Do I need some carrots or more grass-fed butter? THANK YOU!!!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

You should eat most of your food towards the end of the day. It's natural for you to be starving at 8PM.

And tell us what is actually your c/p/f intake.. and how many calories are you shooting for?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mr B Guest

Why&#39;d you pick carrots? That&#39;s random. lol

Really, though...if you&#39;re hungry...just eat. Meat/veggies..whatever

I&#39;m not sure what you mean by your eating is "done" for the day. Unless you mean you don&#39;t eat after a certain time.

To which, I&#39;d ask...why?

If it means you&#39;ve met your "alotted numbers" for c/p/f...it might be that:

1) you need to space your meals out more

or

2) just eat.

you don&#39;t have to go overboard. and more protein/fat would be the first options.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I also used to experiment that heart-racing effect when eating pure coconut oil. I don&#39;t do that anymore hence no effects. I think it might have something to do with the way our body reacts to coconut oil or any kind of pure fat for that matter as an extra shot of energy.

If you&#39;re deciding between butter and carrots, I would go with butter because it doesn&#39;t have any sugar or carbs if you&#39;re sensitive to that. But why limiting yourself to those choices? What about grabbing some leftovers and eating until you&#39;re full? Nice piece of stake? Maybe a hamburger? Maybe even a fried or boiled egg or something like that.

madMUHHH Guest

@the coconut oil thing: This could very well be a die-off reaction, as coconut oil has great anti-microbial properties, so it could actually be something candida related. But I wouldn&#39;t necesarrily say that&#39;s the case, try some other fat, maybe butter or lard and see if you react similar.

But apart from that I wouldn&#39;t try to eat something like oil that has just fat in it. I personally think it would be better to just get a mixed source of food, so basically I would just eat more of whatever you&#39;re eating usually.

Edit: Oh, and boiled eggs would be my recommendation too. You can&#39;t go wrong with eggs and it&#39;s a nice snack.

musajen is offline Junior Member

I second madMUHHH&#39;s boiled egg recommendation. Or how about a small handful of nuts - a perfect blend of f/p/c.

I&#39;ve had the same issue with coconut oil, if I eat a huge tablespoon I get that kind of reaction, hot flash, racing heart, nausea, it&#39;s very strange. If I have just a little bit, like a teaspoon, I seem to do okay but it&#39;s not something I&#39;m making a regular habit. Not wanting that reaction.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

You shouldn&#39;t really be hungry after dinner unless you&#39;re staying up really late. In that case, I opt for cheese slices... sharp cheddar.

What are you eating for dinner.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

That&#39;s so weird that the coconut oil does that to some of you too!! whew, glad I&#39;m not faulty!

What I meant by "done eating" was that my protein was at 105-ish (I weight 132 & need to lose another 2lbs), my carbs were 75 or under and my fat was around 100. So is it okay then to eat more protein or should I just eat fat then?

So a good example of all this is today. So far I&#39;ve had 68F/32C/112P and 1,202 calories and its 8pm. Truthfully, 19 of those carbs were from milk in my coffee. I know that&#39;s probably no good, but milk doesn&#39;t seem to have ever given me any issues that i&#39;m aware of.

Anyway, this is the breakdown of my day:

6:30am 4oz skinless chicken thigh, 1 tbspn grass-fed happy butter

9:00am Medium decaf latte with whole milk

11:00am 1.5oz baked wild salmon

1:00pm CrossFit workout

2:00pm 2.5oz baked wild salmon

4:00pm medium decaf coffee with whole milk

5:00pm taught a 20 minute upper-body class

5:30pm tuaght a 20 minute lower-body class (hey, it wasn&#39;t MY idea to break up body parts!!)

6:15pm 4 oz skinless chicken thigh, 1 little bag baby carrots, 3Tbspn unsweetened dried coconut flakes

I feel better today, but my muscles felt a little more fatigued during my workout than I&#39;d like and yesterday was a rest day. And I know I&#39;ll be hungry when I get home at 9:30pm. So I know I have wiggle room in my carbs and certainly in my fat category but I dont want to go and have more protein right?...maybe I&#39;ll have some coconut milk and wild blueberries!?!

Maybe I&#39;m just not eating enough? Or enough fat? how do you work that in? That sounds like a stupid question when I read it, lol, maybe I need blaring confirmation that its okay to put TWO tablespoons of butter on my meat!? I still have a mental issue with eating ONLY meat or meat with butter! (However, it IS really yummy!)

People keep mentioning steaks dripping in butter, but how MUCH butter?!

BTW, thanks everyone for reading my ramblings and helping sort this (me) out!!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

1,202 calories? Are you serious?

You&#39;re starving, hon.

How big are you? Not that it matters, unless you&#39;re TEENY.

For comparison, I&#39;m female, 5&#39;3", 118 lbs, very lean and active, maintaining easily. I eat at least 2,000 most days, often up to 2,400.

Sample day:

Breakfast -- Large spinach salad with 6 oz salmon, 2 oz walnuts, 1 apple, about 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, and olive oil and lemon juice for dressing.

Lunch -- Chicken breast slices and a couple hardboiled eggs, maybe a few olives.

Dinner -- Hamburger patty (no bun) with mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter, half an avocado. Sometimes half an ounce of 85% chocolate, or some whiskey, for dessert.

I also have several cups of tea with generous splashes of coconut milk throughout the day.

Lots of fat. Lots of protein. Lots of calories. Lots of heavy lifting. Lots of moving slowly. Some sprinting/tabata. Some muscle endurance/gymnastics (crossfit style). As much sleep as I can manage (7.5 hours, usually).

Looks like there&#39;s room in your diet for more fat. Coconut milk, avocado, nuts, olives, eggs...all are more satisfying options than just cooking with a bit more butter.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Without going through the entire thread, I&#39;ll vote carrots sauted in a whole stick of butter. Sounds yummy to me right now. Ohh... carrots AND apples sauted in butter... and maybe some bacon too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast