Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Pregnancy Guest Blog post on Primal Toad's blog page 3

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm so happy there are more and more resources for paleo pregnancy! I'm blogging my paleo pregnancy here if anyone's interested: www.paleohailey.com. I'm almost ten weeks now and I've had a few ups and downs... that whole paleo = no morning sickness thing? Not true for me! But I feel like I'm back on track, and I'm committed to sticking with paleo. I also really recommend Chris Kresser's Healthy Baby Code... there wasn't much in it I didn't already know, but it definitely helped me feel more confident about my decision to stay paleo. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy for all the paleo moms-to-be!

kaylakala is offline Member
    You guys are soooo awesome!! I'm ttc as of last month. I've been fretting over what to tell my doc about my diet. guess it'll be none-ya!!
    Doctors can be terrible. I had my first 2 babies without an epidural and they gave me a stinkin catheter when I had my oldest and forgot to take it out while I was trying to push. I know better this time and I told my (new) hubby that he can bring me a bedpan if they don't want me getting up to go to the bathroom.
    Sorry abou the off topic rant but I think it shows how little some doctors know.
    Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
    Now can walk on the beach for hours.

kimann79 is offline Member
    Thanks so much for that post! I began a primal diet two months ago and I'm now six weeks pregnant with my third child, so it was very timely for me. So far, other than needing an afternoon nap, I feel great. No nausea, bloating or digestive problems, which I had almost immediately with my other two. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pregnancy and delivery differs. I'm also hoping this child will have nice teeth (both my girls may need braces) since I was WAPF for four years before becoming primal!

Dino Babe is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo_hailey View Post
    I'm so happy there are more and more resources for paleo pregnancy! I'm blogging my paleo pregnancy here if anyone's interested: www.paleohailey.com. I'm almost ten weeks now and I've had a few ups and downs... that whole paleo = no morning sickness thing? Not true for me! But I feel like I'm back on track, and I'm committed to sticking with paleo. I also really recommend Chris Kresser's Healthy Baby Code... there wasn't much in it I didn't already know, but it definitely helped me feel more confident about my decision to stay paleo. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy for all the paleo moms-to-be!
    Hailey! I found your blog just yesterday, and now I run into you here!

Was just trying to leave you some comments on your blog, and wrote out an essay before realising I don't have a suitable 'account' to post! D'oh!

Nevermind, chance would have it that I found you here!

Re calcium intake: good sources I have found are tinned fish with bones (salmon, sardines), crispy fried prawn tails, whitebait from you fav Greek restaurant, full fat greek yoghurt (I know you find dairy a little irksome, but I noticed you had it on your list of things you miss from OZ), European mineral water (has, amongst other goodies, calcium in what I believe to be a very assimilable form, so effective in quite low doses), roasted small poultry bones (like wing tips chewed to a paste, and quail - I eat almost all the bones in those little suckers - yumm). I reckon you should start at the beginning tho' and maybe check how your levels are just by living primally. I had my blood work done at 9 wks, and my levels were at the high end of the normal range, and there is no way I get 1200mg per day. I suspect that SAD eating has some calcium leaching properties, and thus some high intake requirements to compensate. Although I cringe when I think of frail old ladies being told those chalky calcium tablets are just the thing to boost their calcium levels. How can our bodies use that stuff effectively? Really?

Also, re your caloric intake, surely a little extra good fats will get you there easily? I can relate, on the paleo+morning sickness train. But I suspect it could certainly be worse! I'm currently at 14 wks, so the majority of that effect seems to have slacked off now! Hooray! And I'm back to eating like a horse! Truth be told, I was strangely glad to get morning sickness, as it signaled that little Bam-Bam/Pebbles is sticking in there, unlike my previous little bean.

I will have to do something about getting some kind of google account so I can comment on your blog, as I am surely going to follow it! I notice you were clever, and are going to birth your Groklette before the weather gets too hot. I'm bonkers, and am having mine at the end of what I am coming to suspect will be a long hot Queensland summer......It's only August and it already feels like spring......

Anyone else out there in the forum up-the-duff an looking for a chat? LOL I think I will have to start a new thread.

PS I loved the guest post on Toad's blog, it came at just the right time! Thanks!
    Last edited by Dino Babe; 08-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

"Forever is composed of nows" - Emily Dickinson

mamagault is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So true, Mamagault!

I repeat this constantly to the mamas I work with. So many of us have given up our autonomy to those in authority--and pregnancy/parenthood always offers great opportunities for us to choose more consciously.

Best wished for a relaxed pregnancy, Shema!
    Totally. Out of my (to be) 6 births, 1st was traditional hospital with meds, 2nd was a freeing home waterbirth with some awesome midwives (went out of practice the day of my 6wk pp appt - boo), 3rd hospital waterbirth with a midwife that was almost as awesome as homebirth, 4th home waterbirth (accidentally unassisted, though midwife talking dh through on phone), 5th elective induction at a hospital, 6th planned elective induction at same hospital. There is a really long story on why the last two have not been homebirths, and I don't mind answering questions about it, just not on a public forum (i.e., if you're curious, pm me). However, I am empowered knowing that my choices are best for me and my babies, and my current OB is more than willing to let me "drive" almost all of my care (except the glucose test & that's going to change if we have any more babies). I wouldn't feel this way, however, if it hadn't been for the midwifery model of care I received with pregnancies #2, 3, and 4.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Loved this Dragonfly! Will share the link with any future preggo mamas I know!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Dinobabe, I'm so glad you like the blog! Looks like I am on my way to finding some paleo pregnancy buddies I've just changed the settings around so you can comment without an account, hope that makes it easier... let's get talking! If I read one more thread on babycenter about pizza binges I'm going to puke (even with the Zofran.)

Your calcium suggestions are great. I am definitely thinking about getting some bloodwork done just to make sure everything's in the right range... that might be my next post, what are the big things to watch for? I used to do a fair bit of tinkering with supplements but so many are not pregnancy safe.

And yes... I don't envy you and the Queensland summer! I think I timed this baby perfectly to avoid the heat... although we are planning to go home for Christmas if everything's looking good, I'll be 28-30 weeks then and I'm guessing it's going to be very hot. But not all-summer-long-in-Queensland-hot... just keep repeating "this is good for my vitamin D levels, this is good for my vitamin D levels!"

Thank you for saying your morning sickness is easing up... I live in hope! It's been really rough. I think I was way too optimistic after all those "paleo women don't get morning sickness" stories... nice to know I am not alone, even though I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo_hailey View Post
    I'm so happy there are more and more resources for paleo pregnancy! I'm blogging my paleo pregnancy here if anyone's interested: www.paleohailey.com.
    Looking forward to checking out your blog, Hailey!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Babe View Post
    Anyone else out there in the forum up-the-duff an looking for a chat? LOL I think I will have to start a new thread.

PS I loved the guest post on Toad's blog, it came at just the right time! Thanks!
    Feel free to chat away here! This is how we all learn from each other, lol!

So glad the blog post was helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Loved this Dragonfly! Will share the link with any future preggo mamas I know!
    Thanks, FairyRae!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123