Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Primal Pregnancy Guest Blog post on Primal Toad's blog page 2

  1. #11
    mamagault's Avatar
    mamagault is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a goat farm in central Indiana
    Posts
    70
    Primal Fuel
    Sonnenblume, I can give you my experience, and I'd love to see what Dragonfly responds, too!

    I don't normally experience swelling in pregnancy. This pregnancy, up until 2 weeks ago, was a train wreck of very carb-based eating. I had higher than normal blood pressure, and sometimes my ankles would swell slightly. I had no energy, and my blood sugar would crash within an hour of eating a meal or snack. I am a 5'9" woman with a just slighter than average build, and I weigh about 145 pre-pregnancy (I'm thinking this will change to about 135 because that is where I was as a teen for many many years, until I started having kids).

    Now: as I mentioned above, my blood pressure is back into my normal range. I have no swelling anymore. I am (comparatively) energetic. My blood sugar is much more stable. Sometimes, if I don't get enough protein, I can tell & I get a little shaky, but it's getting better, especially if I eat something with protein. My appetite has actually gone down a bit, though I eat plenty and whenever I want. I have not gained any weight in a month, and I can tell the baby is getting enough because my belly is still expanding. His movement patterns have changed. Instead of always moving after I eat something, he seems to have developed a better pattern of naps and movements that aren't based on my blood glucose levels. My joint aches & pains have gone away. I still have loose joints, and sometimes they still ache at the end of a long day, but it is no where near the levels of just 2 weeks ago.

    For the first time in this pregnancy, I am not dreading those last weeks.

    I hope my personal experiences have helped you. Keep in mind, this is just after 2 weeks. I wish I had believed in PB/paleo much much earlier. I would be curious to see how a typical Primal/paleo pregnancy looks & baby's birth weights.

  2. #12
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnenblume View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I am currently hoping to conceive my second child! I wasn`t Primal when pregnant with my daughter but i intuitevely, craved meat and veggies and wasn`t interested in carbs (not even sweets, this, however, das changed again since then). Interestingly, I didnīt gain any weight (though definitely eating "enough") until I reluctantly re- introduced the starchy carbs (enjoyed fruit before) at around 20 weeks for everyone told me how much I needed them! So I agree that some women might gain less when eating nutritionally dense food! Did you find women experience more swelling when eating more carbs during pregnancy? This would be interesting to know. Also, pregnant women are always encouraged to snack to "keep blood sugar stable". From your experience, do the pregnant women following the primal lifestyle have less problems with blood sugar lows? I
    Were those starchy carbs you ate grains?

    With the women I worked with personally, I did notice they experienced some swelling until they dropped the grains--often in the second trimester. I didn't track their diets to see how many starchy carbs from vegetables they were eating, so I can't fully answer your question! All of them ate fruit, from what I remember.

    If you read the Primal blogs I linked to at the bottom of the article, none of the moms seemed to experience any bloating or swelling.

    And yes, blood sugar stabilization seems to be a common theme--but only for those who could stay away from the grains totally.

  3. #13
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Mamagault~
    Thank you for sharing your experience! I am learning so much from the Primal mamas online.

  4. #14
    shema's Avatar
    shema is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    114
    Thank you SOOOO much for posting this. I've had such a hard time finding info about being primal during pregnancy.

    Iím also planning (hope to start trying next month probably) for another pregnancy, this time as a full blown Type II diabetic. My endocrinologist says that Iíll have to consume a whopping 150 grams of carbs a day and be on insulin, or else Iíll jeopardize the baby and won't gain enough weight. I canít even imagine consuming that many carbs in a day as a diabetic!!

    The one thing I'm worried about is having an aversion to meat during pregnancy. During my last pregnancy, during my first trimester, I could smell meat, in the refrigerator, with the door shut, all the way upstairs. And it made me SOOO nauseous and sick!

    I don't know what other substantial food options (that won't spike my sugars) I'll have this time around if I wind up having an aversion to meat,. The only thing I can think of might be nut butter smoothies or something...sigh.

  5. #15
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Hi Shema~
    Thanks for your comments!

    Can you eat eggs and dairy? As I said in the blog post, creamy foods can work well for those with a meat aversion in early pregnancy. That said, every pregnancy is different, so you may not have any issues at all this time.

    Just so you know-- several folks on this forum have totally reversed their Type II diabetes by eating a very low carb Primal diet. You may wish to do a search for their stories if you want more info on this!

  6. #16
    shema's Avatar
    shema is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Hi Shema~
    Thanks for your comments!

    Can you eat eggs and dairy? As I said in the blog post, creamy foods can work well for those with a meat aversion in early pregnancy. That said, every pregnancy is different, so you may not have any issues at all this time.

    Just so you know-- several folks on this forum have totally reversed their Type II diabetes by eating a very low carb Primal diet. You may wish to do a search for their stories if you want more info on this!
    Thanks so much for your reply!!! During my first trimester I also had an aversion to eggs! In fact, at the time, I did not know I was going to be diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I knew nothing about being Primal, so, during the first 6 months I would sometimes indulge my cravings for salty foods with french fries. I cringe when I think of it now b/c potatoes send my blood sugars through the roof!

    When I finally did find out I had "gestational", I was testing my blood sugar like crazy and quickly figured out that meats, veggies and strawberries did not send me spiking through the roof. (By that time the meat aversion had gone away). So during the last trimester I was unknowingly being primal. And after I delivered, the weight melted off!

    Anyway, yes, you're right, creamy foods would probably be a good option. I'm just trying to plan ahead (way ahead I guess) for what foods I can eat - especially in the even that I develop food aversion - b/c I'm so scared of what high blood sugars would do to me or to a fetus early on. I've considered Greek yogurt, nut smoothies etc. But even greek yogurt is a tad bit higher on the spectrum of carbs than I care for.

    And to your point, I do know that I can control my Type II with very low carb Primal and have succeeded in doing so in the past. For instance in the last several weeks I've been pretty strict with diet and exercise and I've managed to keep my blood sugar in the 80s! (I am not on insulin BTW). But, I had been lax with my diet in the past which is why I'm now trying to get rid of 25 excess pounds before trying to get pregnant.

    As I'd mentioned, my endo insists that I'll have to eat 150g a day, be on insulin, and he's hooking me up with a dietician. But I'm dreading what the dietician will tell me b/c I'm quite certain she'll insist that I'll need to eat plenty of carbs. So scary....
    Last edited by shema; 08-04-2011 at 06:54 PM.

  7. #17
    mamagault's Avatar
    mamagault is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a goat farm in central Indiana
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by shema View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply!!! During my first trimester I also had an aversion to eggs! In fact, at the time, I did not know I was going to be diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I knew nothing about being Primal, so, during the first 6 months I would sometimes indulge my cravings for salty foods with french fries. I cringe when I think of it now b/c potatoes send my blood sugars through the roof!

    When I finally did find out I had "gestational", I was testing my blood sugar like crazy and quickly figured out that meats, veggies and strawberries did not send me spiking through the roof. (By that time the meat aversion had gone away). So during the last trimester I was unknowingly being primal. And after I delivered, the weight melted off!

    Anyway, yes, you're right, creamy foods would probably be a good option. I'm just trying to plan ahead (way ahead I guess) for what foods I can eat - especially in the even that I develop food aversion - b/c I'm so scared of what high blood sugars would do to me or to a fetus early on. I've considered Greek yogurt, nut smoothies etc. But even greek yogurt is a tad bit higher on the spectrum of carbs than I care for.

    And to your point, I do know that I can control my Type II with very low carb Primal and have succeeded in doing so in the past. For instance in the last several weeks I've been pretty strict with diet and exercise and I've managed to keep my blood sugar in the 80s! (I am not on insulin BTW). But, I had been lax with my diet in the past which is why I'm not trying to get rid of 25 excess pounds before trying to get pregnant.

    As I'd mentioned, my endo insists that I'll have to eat 150g a day, be on insulin, and he's hooking me up with a dietician. But I'm dreading what the dietician will tell me b/c I'm quite certain she'll insist that I'll need to eat plenty of carbs. So scary....
    I understand. I am sensitive to eggs, so to get enough protein for breakfasts, it is often lots of nuts and plain yogurt, nut butters and a sausage patty or some bacon, or even half of a sweet potato sprinkled liberally with nuts plus a breakfast meat or cheese. Granted, I have mentioned meat quite a bit, but sometimes when I was pg, just taking the first bite, the meat tasted so good, even though it didn't sound good.

    As far as the endo, insulin, dietitcian, etc., you do have the right to do what you know to be best for your body. I know that arguing with medical types is exhausting. Like, why do I need to freak my system out with glucola when I can tell you exactly what it is going to do to me? My advice is that if you know what your body needs, just play by the rules just enough to get you by & do what you need to do.

    Good luck!

  8. #18
    shema's Avatar
    shema is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by mamagault View Post
    As far as the endo, insulin, dietitcian, etc., you do have the right to do what you know to be best for your body. I know that arguing with medical types is exhausting. Like, why do I need to freak my system out with glucola when I can tell you exactly what it is going to do to me? My advice is that if you know what your body needs, just play by the rules just enough to get you by & do what you need to do.

    Good luck!
    Thank you for reminding me that I DON'T have to listen to the docs! In fact, I believe I really got screwed the last time I did. They were all so alarmed that I was losing a few pounds in my last trimester that they were pushing carbs like crazy and eventually put me on glyburide b/c I was "limiting" myself too much! At the time, I did not know how detrimental that drug was. For all I know it caused my Type II. (It pushes your pancreas to secrete more insulin). I am still kicking myself and cursing the docs.

  9. #19
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    ...you do have the right to do what you know to be best for your body.
    So true, Mamagault!

    I repeat this constantly to the mamas I work with. So many of us have given up our autonomy to those in authority--and pregnancy/parenthood always offers great opportunities for us to choose more consciously.

    Best wished for a relaxed pregnancy, Shema!

  10. #20
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •