Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convincing people: there is hope, BOOYAH! page

Winterbike is offline Senior Member

Convincing people: there is hope, BOOYAH!

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks!

I feel great today, I want to share some things happening for me right now that might give you hope.

People I influenced, at this moment:
    -The wife was a vegetarian when I met her. Now, she loves bacon and steak, reads almost as much as me on health stuff and looks like a fitness model without any particular effort in that direction.

-One sister is now fully paleo. Almost no cheats, listens to Robb Wolf's podcasts and lost 15 pounds of fat (she's now 130lbs at 5''6 and looks better than ever).

-The other sister loves the stuff, but changes come a little slower. Still, she's doing great and wants to start a movement around here to spread health awareness through sports.

-My dad dropped 20lbs, but probably won't go far enough to see a real huge difference. Still, less and less bread and pasta in their house.

-When I found out another guy at my BJJ gym was paleo (because of MDA), we started sharing info and ideas. Other dudes heard us talking, and now about 5 of them are trying paleo, reading about it and buying grass-fed meat.

-Was talking about nutrition and health with friends from my soccer team the other night, two of them are up for the challenge and started reading more about it.

It helps that I have very low bodyfat, it seems to give me more credibility, but it's not all there is to it. When you share stuff you are passionate about, people listen!

There is hope, smart people listen to smart ideas, keep talking about the paleo lifestyle!

EDIT: Almost forgot. I was talking to a nutritionist who works in the office next to mine the other day. She went vegetarian a year ago, and complained she gained 5-6 pounds, felt softer and was constantly hungry (textbook effects of vegetarianism). I convinced her to read GCBC, MDA and to listen to Robb Wolf. I hope it works, she seemed really into it!
    Last edited by Winterbike; 08-03-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Wow! That's impressive. You must be a natural-born salesperson. Most of us are lucky to persuade one person to try Primal. Any secrets besides enthusiasm, which is important but doesn't get most of us very far. I have tried to pull together a few ideas, mostly picked up here in MDA.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Kristy2078 Guest
    The people who went vegetarian and became worse did it wrong. It's possible to be vegetarian and fit and healthy. It's one of my pet peeves--vegetarians who still crap.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    We are but skipping rocks creating ripples in the CW pond!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I am also quick to spread the word. I tell people at the grocery store, fat kids in the park, adults on facebook.

There is no vegetarian who does it right, unless they are eating unnatural blends of artificial protein powders to make up the difference. And that's definitely not natural. Vegetarianism usually cripples the body. Whether immediately or over decades, the vegetarian will suffer greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Wow! That's impressive. You must be a natural-born salesperson. Most of us are lucky to persuade one person to try Primal. Any secrets besides enthusiasm, which is important but doesn't get most of us very far. I have tried to pull together a few ideas, mostly picked up here in MDA.
    I'm starting to know the science inside out, it helps a lot to be able to answer their questions with more than just ''well, I'm not sure how it works exactly, read this book''. My wife also told me I had a gift to bring information to people in a non-threatening manner, but I couldn't tell you how I do that specifically. She also said I have a cute butt, so that might be it.

Then again, it seems to work a lot more with a specific crowd. BJJ practitioners are usually very driven and motivated people, they hesitate less to change their habits when they see new things that work. I think a big part of it is choosing the right people to try to explain it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy2078 View Post
    The people who went vegetarian and became worse did it wrong. It's possible to be vegetarian and fit and healthy. It's one of my pet peeves--vegetarians who still crap.
    Actually, I was quite impressed by what the nutritionist does. She buys everything organic, eats lots of fruits and veggies, takes care of all the grains and legumes in the right way (the stuff in Mark's today post), and yet, she ended up a little worse. I'm not saying she was completely wrong, she looked better than most people ever will, but she admitted herself that she saw a negative difference since going vegetarian.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I think at last count i've convinced 5 people to try primal/paleo. Although, as i've said before, i work in an industry where people are no afraid of trying something new generally/..
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Actually, I was quite impressed by what the nutritionist does. She buys everything organic, eats lots of fruits and veggies, takes care of all the grains and legumes in the right way (the stuff in Mark's today post), and yet, she ended up a little worse. I'm not saying she was completely wrong, she looked better than most people ever will, but she admitted herself that she saw a negative difference since going vegetarian.
    Maybe check out this YouTube vid? (vegetarian and vegan athletes)

One vegetarian getting worse doesn't mean it's true for all vegetarians. Also, you can't always base a deteriorating health on vegetarianism alone. There are conditions that could be undetected and cause problems.

And, how many of Primal people use protein shakes or fruit/vegetable blends? That's processed stuff as well.

Now, it is possible that some people are not really suited to be vegetarian, but some others are. It's a matter of finding what works for them. Did your friend eat enough fats? What about iron? Maybe she was borderline anemic (without symptoms) but her iron level dropped when she became a vegetarian.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I'm just happy having convinced Mrs. Griffin and myself.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast