Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies who lost their cycle...how long before it came back? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Ladies who lost their cycle...how long before it came back?

Primal Fuel
    I've messed up....big time. I lost my cycle since March. My OB decided I needed to go on progesterone to start it....lots of side effects....still no cycle. Then he put me on Clomid to see if ovulating would start my cycle....more side effects....no cycle yet, and I'm 16 days past ovulation.

I won't lie...I haven't been strict Primal through all this. My hormones are completely out of whack. I tried several OTC herbs, etc. before going the prescription route. Nothing seems to be working.

I guess my main question is if I go back to pretty strict Primal how long before things level out in your best guess. I heard some women say 8 months. Is it unhealthy for me not to have a cycle for that long?

I'd appreciate any help. We still want to have children and my biological clock is ticking, but I can't see myself going through a bunch of injections and hormone therapy to have a baby. That can't be good right? I'm already disappointed in myself for letting them put me on Clomid.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    There are many factors that can cause your cycle to go wonky or disappear completely.

Did something happen in March that caused your cycle to stop?

What's your food intake like? Are you dieting? Are you eating a very low carb diet? Are you eating a very low calorie diet?

What's your exercise like?

How's your sleep?

What are your stress levels like?

Have you had your hormone levels checked? (LH, FSH, progestrone, estrogen)

Hormones checked out okay, which perplexed my doctor beyond belief. I've always been stressed to a certain degree...comes with my job in customer service....but I always had regular cycles for the most part....usually 32 days or so. I would occasionally miss a period by two weeks, but not more than that....usually happened once a year.

I don't really recall any big changes I made to my Primal eating after my last cycle in March. I did temporarily tamper with IFing probably around May. I would skip breakfast and then stop eating at 7pm each night. I eventually stopped when all of this started happening. I was afraid I was putting my body through too much. I also upped my fruit intake.

I was sleeping just fine. I usually walk for exercise. I'm thinking about bodyweight training soon, but I don't want that to mess me up further. I just can't come to the conclusion that something I did other than going Primal messed my cycles up. I've only had one since going Primal...the one in March. Thanks!

NDF
    Okay, I just went through your posting history and from what I've read in your previous posts and threads, it sounds like you are dealing with hypothalamic amenorrhea.

Dry skin is a sign of low estrogen. Low estrogen(unless you are in menopause) is usually caused from a low carb, low fat, or low caloire diet - or a combination of all three.

Intermittent fasting is a great tool, but from some women's body's it is too stressful and can alter the menstrual cycle negatively.

Eating 2-3 servings of fruit is likely not enough carbs for your body to be happy hormonally. I would suggest adding in some starchy carbs - potatoes, rice.

Make sure the dairy you eat is full fat. Don't fear the fat.

Some women's body's are also more sensitive to lower body fat levels than others. If your body has stopped cycling at your current BF but was regular at a higher bodyfat that might be telling you something.

Also, how quickly did you drop the weight that you dropped? That can also cause menstruation to stop.

And finally, anxiety/stress can cause menstrual irregularities. So relax

NDF
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I was sleeping just fine. I usually walk for exercise. I'm thinking about bodyweight training soon, but I don't want that to mess me up further. I just can't come to the conclusion that something I did other than going Primal messed my cycles up. I've only had one since going Primal...the one in March. Thanks!
    I'm going to suggest you up your starchy carbs for a month and see what happens.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Great advice from NDF.

Also, make sure your vitamin D levels are sufficient--you'll want to have your levels checked before pregnancy anyway, if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Okay, I just went through your posting history and from what I've read in your previous posts and threads, it sounds like you are dealing with hypothalamic amenorrhea.

Dry skin is a sign of low estrogen. Low estrogen(unless you are in menopause) is usually caused from a low carb, low fat, or low caloire diet - or a combination of all three.

Intermittent fasting is a great tool, but from some women's body's it is too stressful and can alter the menstrual cycle negatively.

Eating 2-3 servings of fruit is likely not enough carbs for your body to be happy hormonally. I would suggest adding in some starchy carbs - potatoes, rice.

Make sure the dairy you eat is full fat. Don't fear the fat.

Some women's body's are also more sensitive to lower body fat levels than others. If your body has stopped cycling at your current BF but was regular at a higher bodyfat that might be telling you something.

Also, how quickly did you drop the weight that you dropped? That can also cause menstruation to stop.

And finally, anxiety/stress can cause menstrual irregularities. So relax

Yeah I have IBS, so the dairy is out for me in general. I throw some in occasionally in the form of gourmet ice cream or a bit of cheese, but it's not a regular occurrence in my diet.

I've always had dry skin, but my diet has always been crap before Primal anyways. Primal just didn't help.

As for my bodyfat, I did wonder about that. I just find it hard to believe. My lowest bodyfat was 21%...way above the normal 18% before losing your cycle. I lost 8lbs over the course of two months...I don't think that's unreasonable but maybe. I did gain back all the weight in an effort to produce my cycle. I suppose that combined with the prescription drugs didn't help tho. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try keeping my carbs up and hoping for the best. I do take Vitamin D....4-6000IUs a day.

I do take Vitamin D....4-6000IUs a day.
    This is great--and I still would highly recommend you get your levels checked. Some folks are still deficient, even at that level of supplementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    This is great--and I still would highly recommend you get your levels checked. Some folks are still deficient, even at that level of supplementation.
    I will try but finding a doctor that does what you ask around here is very very hard.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I will try but finding a doctor that does what you ask around here is very very hard.
    You can order a test kit online here:
    Vitamin D Council - Order Test Kits

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast