Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running up the stairs at work: Does it help? page

fra0039 is offline Member

Running up the stairs at work: Does it help?

Primal Fuel
    Hey, since I unfortunately have to sit in front of a pc most of my day, I have started doing a "mini sprint workout" once or twice a day: I just go up the stairs (3 floors) very fast.

Does this somehow count as a "sprint" or is it just wasted time (well, it is still fun so not a total waste!). If so, would it be too much to do it twice a day (I normally train at the gym about 3 times a week, trying to include also "sprints", eg burpees)

Thanks!

FredFornicola is offline Junior Member
    You stated it was fun, and right there says it's worth it. Since exercise stimulates more than muscle, it's great that your brain is getting the added benefit.
    www.PremierePersonalFitness.com

"TRAIN WITH A PURPOSE"

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yeah it's not a waste of time, and if you try to beat your own time eventually it can be a sprint.

thought: take a water-jug from around the water cooler area and use that as resistance, those 3 floors will be a lot tougher and you should be much more winded (be creative, if there's no water, think of anything else that's sort of heavy, a 50lb sandbag is around $4 at home depot, just don't drop it or you could be in for one hell of a clean up)

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yeah it's not a waste of time, and if you try to beat your own time eventually it can be a sprint.

thought: take a water-jug from around the water cooler area and use that as resistance, those 3 floors will be a lot tougher and you should be much more winded (be creative, if there's no water, think of anything else that's sort of heavy, a 50lb sandbag is around $4 at home depot, just don't drop it or you could be in for one hell of a clean up)
    good idea, unfortunately we do not have water-jugs around but sometimes I just carry my pc-bag full of stuff :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FredFornicola View Post
    You stated it was fun, and right there says it's worth it. Since exercise stimulates more than muscle, it's great that your brain is getting the added benefit.
    actually i enjoy so much running up the stairs that every time i see stairs I will just run them up. Hope it does not sound too weird lol
    Last night I was running up the underground stairs at 1am on my way back home :-)

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Sprinting up 4 flights of stairs once or twice a day was the only exercise I did all winter before hiking the Grand Canyon (to the river and back) in April. Not so smart, but it was enough exercise that I had no difficulty completing the hike.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I run up and down the staircase or jump one or two steps up and down by the bus-stop while I am waiting for the bus with whatever I am draging along in my backpack that day (laptop, books, excersise gear). Beats standing with the rest of the people staring into space. I do not like using staircase in the office building because it is freaking me out, and I never can figure out what floor is a cross-over floor, and where the exits are located, and mainly - the eneterances!

In the office I comandeer meeting rooms during the lunch break (just set a 'private appointment') for a longer workout; the quiet room or the phone rooms to do a quick stretch or just fall down and do a few sets of push-ups. One gotta adjust to the environment!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fra0039 View Post
    good idea, unfortunately we do not have water-jugs around but sometimes I just carry my pc-bag full of stuff :-)
    I used to race up the stairs at work with our receptionist on my back. She weighed like 90lbs tho.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I work a desk job too, but fit in a bit of exercise while I'm there: wall pushups, squats, walking the parking garage at lunch, stairs, walking at the treadmill desk, and pull-ups under the boardroom table.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Stair sprints are awesome....keep it up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast