Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running up the stairs at work: Does it help? page 2

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Old thread but I just started this. We're in the dead of winter here in Alaska and sprinting outside isn't safe (very dark, very icy) so I've started running up the stairs at work. It's only 1 flight of stairs so I run up and down them 5 times as fast as I can and take a break. I'm going to try adding flights to this as I get more used to it.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
    Sprinting up 4 flights of stairs once or twice a day was the only exercise I did all winter before hiking the Grand Canyon (to the river and back) in April. Not so smart, but it was enough exercise that I had no difficulty completing the hike.
    A perfect example that we don't need that much "exercise"!!! It was smart. You didn't do more than was required to be fit. More is NOT better, almost all of the time. Intensity is key. When intensity is high, very little is needed.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I have a long outdoor public stair that I use to sprint up in the mornings. Above the stairs a pavement continues uphill a little, so I can get around 30 seconds of uphill sprints. Very effective and much more safe for sprints than the beach, or a plain road. I use to do 12 - 15 sprints, resting when walking down, and when finishing I do 25 minutes of LISS jogging and perhaps a little power walks. This simple cardioprogram has helped to improve my cardio fitness tremendously...

MaverickBris is offline Junior Member
    I love the stairs at work - I work in a 10 floor office block on the top floor and they just allowed us to use the Fire Stairs to go between floors. I barely take the elevator anymore!

I think it is a perfect sprint workout and definately lots of fun. If I have been sitting at my desk too long I do the usual office slacker trick - Print off a report, put in official looking envelope and walk it down to a lower floor, then return with the report!
    Starting Weight (11 August 2012) - 117.8 kgs (259lbs)
    Current Weight - 94.4kgs (207lbs) (as at 14/01/2013) -23.4kgs (51lbs) lost to date.
    Goal Weight - 90kgs (198lbs)

"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere" - Van Wilder

AndreaP is offline Junior Member
    10 minutes cycle commute to work is the perfect warm up for sprinting up to my office on the seventh floor. Bike on shoulder, obviously! :-) I usually do it a few times a day if I can and thanks to your post I will be doing it more imaginatively!!

I try and sell the idea of ditching the lift but most people rather do it the 'proper' way and pay for the gym....... sigh!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    As a follow up I did stair sprints last week one day (14 flights up and down) and over the weekend I did one of my outdoor walks up a steep hill and found that I was really cooking up that hill. Much faster walk than normal. So I definitely think the stair sprints helped.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12