Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Italians eat LOADS of grain, but are not fat!? page

fra0039 is offline Member

We Italians eat LOADS of grain, but are not fat!?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there, I have started eating primal a few weeks ago and, even if I was a bit skeptical at the beginning, I have to say I love it. Even if I was doing well with my previous diet (still healthy but higher on whole grains and dairy), with the primal one I seem to get even better results and I feel great as well. Just by dropping carbs and increasing fat!

But there is something that I cannot ignore and that I get as a legitimate objection from my friends when I try to promote the primal diet: people in Italy eat loads of carbs, still they are on average quite thin. Ok, you will not see that many ripped people, but it is also not that easy to find fat ones. In Italy we luckily do not eat that much evil fats, fast foods, sugars and other crap but we still have a large plate of pasta more or less daily and have pizza at the very least once a week (but usually much more than that). On top of that, we eat large quantities of dairy and all sorts of grain-based foods, like rice, potatoes and even something that is in theory really evil, like this: Polenta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How do you explain that??

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering about this too. The Mediterranean Diet and the French Paradox both rely HEAVILY on grains. The French especially love their dairy. I'm still following PB, but the thought has crossed my mind: is eating an all natural, homemade French baguette AS bad (does it deserve the same intensity of rejection) as cooking with partially hydrogenated soybean oil? I understand that neither are "primal" and that the focus of PB isn't just on heart health and weight....but it would appear that there are some bread and cattle cultures that are doing just fine living more-than-primally.

Thoughts?

Wayneeuk is offline Member
    Im not so sure on your theory of No fat Italians tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayneeuk View Post
    Im not so sure on your theory of No fat Italians tbh.
    No I did not say there are no fat ones, of course there are. Still, on average, I would say Italians are much thinner than other populations I had the chance to live with

croí is offline Senior Member
    Don't they walk an awfule lot? I know reading about people in France walking a lot and that is why the majority is skinny. Would this be the same arguement for Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    Don't they walk an awfule lot? I know reading about people in France walking a lot and that is why the majority is skinny. Would this be the same arguement for Italy?
    mmm, Italians do walk more than some other pupulations but I would say that it is not such a big difference

janie is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure they eat loads of grains. For example, a serving of pasta in Italy is considerably smaller than the plates of pasta you see served in the States. And their diet contains substantial amounts of veggies, protein and fat.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    I think it takes extraordinary circumstances to have high rates of obesity. It's not just grains, there is just too many things wrong with nutrition here to blame obesity on grains.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps the durum wheat used for pasta is less aggressive?

Also lots of sunshine.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

trippplez is offline Member
    I would guess they just don't overeat. I'm from Eastern Europe where the countries as a whole have some average level of obesity (according to the 'official' statistics of the world countries). From my friends, relatives, colleagues, my own conclusions are:

* the fat ones snack all day, every day, mostly junk
    * the skinny fat ones eat small portions, have great self-control (more often than not pretending not to)
    * the lean and mean don't snack, eat at most 2-3 meals a day with protein, and workout at least every other day (in my case and a couple of friends: pushups, basketball, table tennis)

I'm not sure about walking though. I personally walk massive distances compared to the general population but somehow don't 'feel' that this is the crucial thing that allows me to maintain my weight with relative ease.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast