Thread: Paleo and Chronic Inflammation - Help Needed page

SaraEvans is offline Junior Member

Paleo and Chronic Inflammation - Help Needed

I need your help! My husband and I follow the Primal Blueprint and highly recommend it to EVERYONE we talk to.

My problem is with my mother. She has had chronic inflammation issues for as long as I can remember. Her health concerns include but are definitely not limited by OSS, Osteo Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Spinal Damage from a fall, short gut malabsorption....

I have spoken to her about eating Primal MANY times and I always get excuses as to why it is not a good idea. The most important one to her seems to be the numerous DRs that have told her she needs a high carb diet and must eat grains.

I don't know how to get through to her. She seems to respond to 'science' articles, can you recommend any articles that I could get her to read?

Does anyone out there any success stories I can tell her about?

I feel like I have one last chance with her so I want to get it right! Tonight she got a call from the DR stating she now has a lung bacterial infection. It seems never ending and she is not mentally coping.

I need to help but I don't know how to get through to her!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If she's that convinced that her doctors are right, I don't know whether my 'success story' would help, but here goes.

I'll be 70 next week, but I began developing osteoarthritis in my mid-30s, and was headed for knee replacements as soon as I was "old enough" (in those days, they only lasted about 10-15 years and doctors wanted you to be at least 50). I took NSAIDs for inflammation for years before I learned better. Over time, the effects of the osteo were throughout my body (my podiatrist once told me I had the 'worst' foot he'd ever seen from arthritic degeneration).

In my 50s, I began eating low carb and doing water exercise. Gradually I realized that the NSAIDs didn't make that much difference. With diet and exercise, I got off all meds (although my doctor told me that would be 'impossible'), and when I consulted a surgeon at a major hospital about replacing my knees recently, he told me to delay as long as possible since I'm controlling the pain so well on my own.

Grains and sugar are the killers--if I have either, I have pain within hours, so it's easy for me to avoid both. As a measure of my success in controlling inflammation, I had a CRP test a while back (measure inflammation in the body), and with a lab range of (1.0-12.0), my number was 0.9--below the lowest.

At 70, the only Rx I take are for my Hashimoto's (hypothyroid), and I feel more fit and healthy than when in my 30s.

healthy4me is offline Junior Member
    OH thanks for this reply! I am just crusing around and have ostteoarthritis and need knee repl. when am of age also. They told me 60. I am 54. I am 50 lbs overwt and right now suffering from neruopathy in my L foot and pain in my L hip. I went gf about 2 weeks ago and was starting to feel better. Son has convinced me to try this for 30 days. OMG day 4 and my mouth tastes gross, have a constant low grade belly ache... yesterday was terrible till I went to the bathroom - diarhea. Have no appetite at all till late in the day and then not really. I went on the anti inflammatory list for paleo. So not sure if this will help or not but pretty sure I will stay gluten free. Certainly not seeing any help with my legs, infact last night was worse back to before gf symptoms. charly horses if I even move my legs. any ideas adn so glad you are feeling better!!

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Here's an article from ScienceDaily that links a low-carb diet to reduced inflammation markers. I bookmarked it a while back as reminder for myself to stay away from sugar and grains. Good luck with helping your mother. It can be so hard to break people out of CW thinking.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Lereas is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing Primal for a month and have already dropped about 10 lbs that were refusing to come off through eating "well" before and running a bunch. When people ask me about why I'm not eating my bread or whatever and I tell them about Primal, they say "well, that sounds nice, but you're supposed to eat grains"

What I tell them, and what I recommend to you, is to try it for a month. You really have nothing to lose, and not eating grains for month is not going to cause any kind of permanent harm. If after a month you don't feel better or whatever, then go back to whatever you were doing before.

It doesn't hurt you at all to give it a try.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I was an inflammatory mess when I started this. I am 46, but I had got to the point where I had chronic migraines, tummy issues, thyroid problems and joint pains. I ended up being chronically depressed too - no surprise, feeling like that. Primal has helped with all of them.

Keeping low carb and keeping preservatives out of my diet has virtually eliminated my migraines.

Adding fermented foods, removing grains and reducing inflammatory omega 6's and sugar has improved my stomach to the point where, after 10 years of daily pain, nausea and diarrhea, I now have a normal healthy gut.

The reduction in inflammation has minimized my knee and other joint pain. I still have some, but from what I have read, it can take 4-5 years for the effects of excess omega 6 to leave your system completely. It is not impacting my life the way it was before.

The amount of thyroid supplementation I need to take has continued to decrease since I started this WOE. It used to hover up and down and need to be changed every 4 months or so. I am at the lowest level of T3 that I have been on in years. I have no idea if I will be able to eventually get off T3 or not, but having it stable (even if medicated) is more wonderful than you can imagine.

Any depression I had lifted as well - I am not sure if it is a direct result of the diet, or just because of feeling better. I remember reading somewhere that being in constant pain for 3 months or more with no sign of a way out created depression in perfectly mentally healthy people. I can believe it - pain is terribly hard to deal with.

I had got to the point where I was no longer working, I was at home with my kids, and managing, but barely. I dragged myself through every day. Now I am still at home, but I am coping well with the care of house and family and I am starting to make plans for getting back to work. To know that I am well enough to work again feels amazing. I no longer feel trapped inside a body that is betraying me.

Regarding science content - there are some blogs I read that have a decent amount of science content - you may be able to glean something from them.
    GNOLLS.ORG - Home of J. Stanton and The Gnoll Credo I find this the easiest "sciency" one to read
    Perfect Health Diet This has lots of references to study and does a good job of dissemination the data in them
    Whole Health Source This guy is a PhD who is working in the field - he is not low carb, but definitely against processed and inflammatory foods
    Health Correlator This guy has some interesting takes on the research out there. He analyzes the data out there and develops his own conclusions

I hope this helps!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Thank you to everyone who replied to my message! Today my mother had a call from her DR telling her that she has a rare infection in her lungs plus Pneumonia. She was in tears and telling me she couldn't go on. I decided to give my Primal plug one last go! Whether or not I have made progress I don't know so I guess time will tell. I hope I have, I want her to be here for her grandkids!

Thank you Heidi for the Science Daily Link. It might be just what I need!!!

Thank you to everyone who replied to my message! Today my mother had a call from her DR telling her that she has a rare infection in her lungs plus Pneumonia. She was in tears and telling me she couldn't go on. I decided to give my Primal plug one last go! Whether or not I have made progress I don't know so I guess time will tell. I hope I have, I want her to be here for her grandkids!

Thank you Heidi for the Science Daily Link. It might be just what I need!!!

js290 is offline Senior Member