Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat's Milk page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I really miss my whey protein shakes (used to drink them for breakfast every morning) so I'm thinking of going back. I used to make them with skim milk, which I'm certainly not going to do now.

On one hand, I can continue to use half & half or heavy cream diluted with water... but that gets expensive.

Or I can get fresh, raw goats milk from the Amish. The price I don't know yet. My main concern is the lactose. I do have issues with yogurt, ice cream and milk making me feel bloaty. I'm going to use it to make eggnog for Christmas, so we'll see how I handle it.

I'm just curious as to what you guys think about it. Anybody drink it? Can I use it to make my own heavy cream?

Mr B Guest

I dunno about making cream, since I've never done that.

But generally, goat's milk is supposed to be more tolerable by those who can't tolerate cow milk very well.

It also provides a pretty decent flavor to shakes, in my opinion...especially chocolate shakes.

Never had raw goat's milk, though...so I could accidentally be wrong about everything in that case. lol

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

In general goats milk products are supposed to be more tolerable, and the fact that it is raw adds to that. Just found a raw milk source 2 miles down the road and loving it, does get expensive but it's worth it to me.

Never know if you don't try it

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I can tolerate goats milk kefir better than I can tolerate cows milk and even cow milk kefir. Never had a formal diagnosis of lactose intolerance, but whenever I drink too much milk, I got ... shall we say "uncomfortable"? Goats milk doesn't do that with me and especially the things like kefir & yogurt. Never tried making my own cream though because I want those probiotics.

CJ4400 is offline Member

I've had goat's milk before and loved it. I say it's worth a try to at least have had experienced it!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've never had kefir, but I would be interested in trying it, or even trying to make it. Is it difficult? I'm waiting on my scoby to start kombucha. Might as well add kefir to the list. Maybe I should buy some and taste it first though.

FairyRae2 Guest

Kefir is sooooooo easy to make--all you need is milk kefir grains. You just drop them into the milk and leave it out for 24-48 hours, then it's done! Strain the grains and put the kefir in the fridge. Easier than kombucha IMO.

It is certainly an aquired taste--smells like sourdough being fermented.

I'd totally go w/ the raw goat's milk. You can buy yogurt starter and kefir grains here http://www.culturesforhealth.com/splash.php They have some yogurt starter that you can just throw into the milk w/out heating to make RAW yogurt. If you culture yogurt for 24 hours, I believe it takes out almost all of the lactose. (I might try that if the taste of milk kefir was super strong/hard to tolerate, which it was to me the first time I tried it...) But, folks w/ milk kefir grains will usually pass them along for free b/c they grow like crazy. I'd share mine but they don't grow b/c I don't put them in milk...(gonna need some new ones soon actually--they are finally starting to die out after 6+ months of use in non-dairy liquids...)

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I would second that goat's milk is better tolerable than cow's milk. It's funny, because when I was growing up I would go visit my grandma who lived in a village. There goat's milk was considered the ultimate "health serum" that was given to kids when they would get sick. I don't know how valid this assumption really is, but in the place that was full of cows during any sicknesses that would always turn to goat's milk and not the cow's.

I don't know if goat's milk would be the best choice for eggnog though simply because of it's strong taste. If you ever had goat's cheese, the milk has a similar aftertaste. I tried putting it in my coffee a few times but I didn't like the flavor. But if drank by itself, I think goat's milk is delicious.

Mr B Guest

just remembered, i also got several jars of goat's milk yogurt several years ago from an organic place that down here in tx.

that was pretty decent. liquid enough to where you can just drink it.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Goat's milk is closer to human milk composition than cow's milk. It has less casein (the protein in milk that is similar to gluten in structure). I don't think the lactose differs that much.

I am lucky in that I can buy raw goat's and cow's milk in our local market here in southern Pennsylvania. I can also go to several dozen Amish markets that sell raw milk. It is so much more flavorful than pasteurized. Now, if the guv-ment has its way, that could go away. I'll have to buy a goat then I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast