Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to be primal in the gym page

Laurel730 is offline Member

How to be primal in the gym

Primal Fuel
    I will be going back to school soon and I will be using the gym, how could I be primal in the gym? Should I do 15 minutes cardio before weight training for half an hour? Do I stretch after cardio before weight training or after weight training? Thank you for the time
    I realize now, we are no different than our ancestors from millenniums ago. We are just cavemen with technology.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't do more than about 5 minutes of nonspecific "cardio" (biking/running) before weight lifting. I find 5 minutes on a bike gets me pretty warmed up for lifting. Dedicate a day for HIIT sprints (again, biking or running).

Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    I wouldn't do more than about 5 minutes of nonspecific "cardio" (biking/running) before weight lifting. I find 5 minutes on a bike gets me pretty warmed up for lifting. Dedicate a day for HIIT sprints (again, biking or running).
    How long does sprinting last? For 10 minutes or less?
    I realize now, we are no different than our ancestors from millenniums ago. We are just cavemen with technology.

js290 is offline Senior Member

fra0039 is offline Member
    Hey I can suggest you the program I am currently on and that I find really awesome, especially if you want to strenghten your core (and who does not want to...):

the New Rules of Lifting for Abs

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the PB Fitness e-book? Start there.

Sure, love to here what you do.

Maintain the base principles of Primal Blueprint Fitness, and you can pretty much do anything (im using this term very lightly) that caters to your needs.

In reguards to warming up, I suggest you use a concept2 rower and find a nice and even pace, 5 min max. The rower will effectively warm up your entire body.

if its your lift heavy day, the essential exercise for building raw strength and power is the dead lift. In fact, if you want a complete beginners 'heavy lifting' workout, look into Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It is, in my opinion, the mecca of heavy lifting. It will teach you the very technical details of proper weight lifting that is very essential to anyone going to a gym.

For intense days, you can't go wrong with crossfit, or develop your own workouts based on crossfit curriculum/exercises. If you are looking for effectiveness and efficiency with your workouts, I suggest utilizing a modified tabata protocol, which is what I use.

If the tabata protocol interests you, and you are JUST getting back into the gym, start with 1-2 tabata rounds, a round consisting of 8 sets, with each set being 20sec work and 10sec rest = 4-8 min of intense work. The numbers may seem small, but if done properly with high intensity, YOU WILL FEEL IT. Gradually build your way up to 4-5 tabata rounds and you will have a very intense workout within 16-20 min.
    Last edited by achilles.kealoha; 08-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Most people want to be stronger, faster, more flexible and injury free...

Strength train
    Sprint
    Stretch

Mon - Strength train
    Wed - Hill Sprints
    Fri - Strength train
    Sa or Su - Yoga

robwa1984 is offline Member
    I wouldn't waste any time warming up with cardio in the gym.It uses up a proportion of the body's natural recovery reserve. Warm up on the machines specific to what your doing. shoulder press, row ect. As for stretching i dont usually bother either. I increase flexibility through doing a full range of movement with weights. Sprinting should be done on another day when you feel fresh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast