Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't get enough nutrients... page

TheAndrew is offline Junior Member

Can't get enough nutrients...

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

So I'm new to the primal thing and I've loved it so far...only one problem...I cannot get full at all.

I train intensely 5-6 days of the weak for soccer, running, playing the game, and lifting weights. I eat an insane amount of food a day, for the past week or so...but I am always hungry. I just downed a PB sandwich because I couldn't take eating a crap load of veggies, almond butter, or fruit anymore....and I finally don't have a growling stomach. Do ya'll think going real primal is for me? Or should I integrate some sort of other carbs into my diet, such as rice or oatmeal. I'm really struggling here on how I should go about it.

Thanks!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Eat more fat.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You need more carbs than most of us. Try to avoid grains other than white rice. It and potatoes, with lots of butter and other fat should help.

Tell us more about your diet and we can make more suggestions.

Primal can work for everyone. It is flexible.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Katblack is offline Senior Member
    So, let me get this straight... Rice is allowed
    You don't have to be sick to get well

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    White rice and white potatoes are becoming more accepted. Mark still isn't thrilled by them but many Primal and Paleo followers have voted with their forks for them. I eat some white rice and lots of potatoes. I am losing fat despite being about 1% as active as TheAndrew.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Katblack is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the information @Hedonist. Will have to try it out and see how it goes. I would much rather have some sweet potato fries though
    You don't have to be sick to get well

Courage is offline Junior Member
    Then have them. Pre-soak your sweet potatos and use beef tallow, lard (non-hydrogenated), coconut oil or even duck or goose fat to fry them in.

Generally, it's protein and fat that are going to give you a feeling of being satiated for hours after you eat. But, being as active as you are, you may need to simply up your carbohydrate intake, but make them good carbohydrates: i.e. starchy tubers, some fruits, etc. Lay off the grains. There are plenty of carbs in the world without reaching for a loaf of bread.

I know plenty of Crossfitters who workout as much or more than you do and manage to make hardcore Paleo diets work for them. It may take some effort and attention to detail. Check out some of the stuff over at Robbwolf.com. Robb runs a gym, so one of his day-to-day concerns is making sure that people doing a lot of activity are getting their feed on. Or check out Cordain's "Paleo Diet for Athletes". Here's some Cliff's Notes for it: http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Pal...liff_Notes.pdf

There's plenty of information about how to jig your intake to ensure that your performance on the pitch doesn't suffer.

Also, I don't know how long you've been on the diet, but don't confuse temporary adjustment with the long-term effects. If you've been slugging back PB sandwiches for fuel for a long time, your body has some to expect that. A new equilibrium will take some time to establish.
    Last edited by Courage; 08-03-2011 at 05:01 AM.

TheAndrew is offline Junior Member
    The usual is something like this:

Banana pre-workout in the morning

protein shake post work out

4 eggs, some other fruits, (maybe apple, watermelon, orange or another banana) along with some cottage cheese pancakes, sometimes with almond butter, sometimes without

If I'm still hungry (usually I am) I'll eat some carrots or other veggies, or maybe even a salad

Lunch: chicken and porkchop with fruit and a salad, a sweet potato with butter and cinnamon microwaved to perfection ha

midafternoon snack: handfull of almonds

protein shake after playing a game

dinner: lots of chicken a small salad, still hungry, ate some watermelon and a banana

later i downed a PB sandwich and another banana because I felt sick from how hungry I still was.

Looking at that, it isn't a whole lot of food going by calories...

but I've tried eating when I'm hungry, which seems to be all the damn time haha, its annoying.

Edit: I might just try swathing my bananas with PB. I know it isn't strictly primal or anything, but I need the carbs.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'd say more food in general and more meat and starch in particular.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    why and how does one " Pre-soak your sweet potatos"
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast