Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning to Kiwis buying vitamins overseas page

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

Warning to Kiwis buying vitamins overseas

Shop Now
    With the strong Kiwi dollar I decided it was time to buy one of Mark's vitamin products (Damage Control Master Formula), saving a small amount on a similar combination available here.

I have received a letter from Medsafe (NZ Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority) telling me that they had x-rayed the item and opened it as a suspect medicine. They tell me I need to get a prescription for Vitamin D (2000iu) and DMAE (Deanol) 50mg. So I have now spent $47 on a doc's appt to get the script which I am about to send off. The doc didn't really know why they needed a prescription either but he thought it might be to stop people importing amounts to sell. The amount I bought was a 30 day supply. I emailed them but didn't get an explanation.

Anyway, lesson learned. Sorry Mark but I won't be buying further vitamin products from you.

Jo

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Sorry about that Jo, I guess some countries are not ready to accept the Primal nutrients.
    You can still find most of the multivitamins you need from ready sources just not as high in dosage.
    Such sources would be garden vegetables and berries.

jo
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Archer View Post
    Sorry about that Jo, I guess some countries are not ready to accept the Primal nutrients.
    You can still find most of the multivitamins you need from ready sources just not as high in dosage.
    Such sources would be garden vegetables and berries.
    I suspect it's more a case of protecting markets. Sigh.

McSqueeb is offline Junior Member
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
    These machines feed on the tears of broken lives and dying dreams...

jo
    Just had this reply....

Both the Vitamin D and Deanol (DMAE) are classified as prescription medicines in New Zealand.
    To import any quantity of a prescription medicine a letter or prescription from a New Zealand doctor is required.
    Looks like I need to get out in the sun more! LOL

jo
    I contacted them and asked them to direct me to a list of other similar prescription items and got this reply....

Unfortunately there is no complete list of ingredients that are restricted or not.
    You are able to search for specific ingredients on our website:

Classification of Medicines

Please be aware however that often ingredients have different names in different parts of the world. For example, if you put DMAE into the search box you won't get any results as it is called deanol in New Zealand.

Common ingredients to watch out for are Melatonin, DHEA, Progesterone, Pregnenolone, Yohimbine, Vitamin D (when greater than 1000iu per daily dose) and L-tryptophan (when greater than 100mg per daily dose). These are all available as supplements overseas but are classified as prescription medicines in New Zealand.

Please feel free to email us with products and ingredients before you order if you need some clarification about their status in New Zealand.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Ouch that sucks! Probably the same here in Oz. I know my TCM-practitioner sells the practitioners grade vitamins and fish-oils in her clinic, might be worth checking out what your local practitioner might have?

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Thanks Jo, I was just thinking about doing the same this morning!

The liquid vit D I buy locally is only 100 iu per drop and approx 5000 iu per dropper full. The lady at the shop I bought it said that anything stronger was prescription, but it hadn't crossed my mind that if I bought stronger overseas I might get pinged for it coming into the country.

I can't wait for the summer so it's not an issue anymore, winter sucks

jo
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post

I can't wait for the summer so it's not an issue anymore, winter sucks
    Not long now! I'm working nights at the moment so I have been able to get out in the sun for spells during the day, which is why I'm annoyed about being picked up for the D, since I don't think I need it.

jo
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Ouch that sucks! Probably the same here in Oz. I know my TCM-practitioner sells the practitioners grade vitamins and fish-oils in her clinic, might be worth checking out what your local practitioner might have?
    The doc wasn't that keen to write the prescription and said he didn't want to make a habit of it since he didn't think it was necessary. What's a TCM practitioner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast