Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COMPLICATED cholesterol/triglyceride question-problem page

amh
    amh is offline Junior Member

COMPLICATED cholesterol/triglyceride question-problem

Primal Fuel
    Mark,

I would be interested in your thoughts on this-first you need a little background info:

I have been a type one diabetic for 23yrs (treated with insulin pump and follow Richard Bernstein's 6-12-12 carb program-lately lower more like 3-3-6)
    I was diagnosed with Hasimoto's Disease a yr ago
    I had a baby 5mths ago
    30min cardio 4 times aweek
    gained 60lbs while pregnant (upped diet to 50 to 80grams carb a day while pregnant)
    to date have lost 58lbs-45lbs withing the first 3wks postpartum
    I am an athletic frame-do not carry a lot of body fat (weight will go up 5-10lbs if synthroid is off)
    use a ton of coconut and olive oil-use some cream-some cheese-protien(could stand to up that) and mostly green veggies-NO grain ever (diet is often 80% fat 15% protein 5% carb)

For the first time ever my cholesterol and triglycerides are really high-they went up in my third trimester and HAVE NOT GONE DOWN. My dr wants me to start lipitor and I really don't want to, but do not know what else to do or what to think about these labs:

Total Cholesterol- 360
    HDL-115
    LDL-192
    TRIGLYCERIDES- 263
    (last A1C was 5.5 so diabetes is good)

My thyroid levels were within the normal range, but I have been feeling really off so the dr just increased them.

I take a VERY active role in my health and KNOW that I am following low-carb correctly. ALL the food I eat is natural except for bacon a few times a week and salami every once in a blue moon. The triglyceride levels have me shocked as does the LDL but none of these numbers have moved for the last half of the year. Any thoughts on what could be causing this would be appreciated!

I know that was a lot of info, but it may contribute to my labs. Bottom line is that
    Last edited by amh; 08-02-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    I'm replying as much to see the further comments as to leave my own. However, with that HDL/LDL ratio I wouldn't worry about your total cholesterol AT ALL. That's awesome.

No clue on the triglycerides. I know they are influenced by carbs, but there's a lot going on with you from an endocrinology perspective, so I have no idea.

amh
    I want to know what can cause the triglycerides to be that with with a diet so low in carbs-it really baffles me.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Adding a pill makes no sense. Have you tried eating more food rich in HDL? I'm no expert, but it's the ratio of LDL to HDL that is the predictor of dysfunction. I don't even know whether or not your HDL is type A or type B.

My thyroid levels were within the normal range, but I have been feeling really off so the dr just increased them.
    Would he just randomly sell you ritalin if you wanted it? Find a better doctor. How could he get away with giving you thyroid medicine if your levels are normal?
    :nilly:

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I think i just read something over at Dr Kruse about the Trigs doing clean up work but dont hold me to it.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

amh
    I think you misunderstood-there is a range of "normal" for the thyroid. Some people function better on the Low end of normal-some on the high end of normal. My labs show that I am in the mid range of normal right now but am showing signs that it is too low for me-that is why it was increased. It takes time to figure out where each person will function best. My dr is not just giving me more thyroid medicine because I want it-we are working together to figure out what dose(within normal range) will work best for me. Hope that clears things up.

Labhraín is offline Junior Member
    Higher triglycerides, while usually a sign of eating a lot of carbs, but are also frequently seen in people with diabetes.

I wouldn't worry about the LDL. Your HDL is very, very high and you have a good ratio. LDL participates in repair work. It really does serve a very good purpose in the body. LDLs aren't "bad." Unhealthy ones (small, dense ones) can be an issue, but you don't know anything about the particle size of your LDL, which is what really matters. A regular cholesterol screening (which calculates LDL, it doesn't measure them,) tells you nothing about the particle size. If you really want to know something about your LDLs, request a VAP test.

Lipitor is worse than worthless. It will interfere with the body's production of needed cholesterol, putting you at a higher risk for diseases such as infection, Alzheimer's Disease, cancer and even heart failure. Because the production of cholesterol shares the same pathway as the production of CoEnzyme Q10, a statin (such as Lipitor) will also interfere with the production of that enzyme. Because your cholesterol production will be lowered, your body will obviously have need for fewer lipoproteins (which carry cholesterol in the blood,) so not only LDLs will decrease, but so will HDLs. Triglycerides will likely not be affected, as Lipitor's job is to interfere with production of _cholesterol,_ not triglycerides.

amh
    Thank you-this is what I have been reading and is why I do not want to take the Lipitor. I am going to ask for the VAP test. If the LDL is the "fluffy" kind, there should be no need to worry-is that correct?

Labhraín is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amh View Post
    Thank you-this is what I have been reading and is why I do not want to take the Lipitor. I am going to ask for the VAP test. If the LDL is the "fluffy" kind, there should be no need to worry-is that correct?
    Yes, the large, fluffy variety (Pattern Type A) is what you want.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Agree that your HDL is superb and LDL is uninformative without a VAP test.

Your triglycerides are definitely of concern. This is not the first time we have seen such high trigs from someone eating low carb, but I don't recall a good explanation. However I think diabetes was also present.

Maybe you are simply overdoing the fats and need to cut down a bit. How many grams of protein do you get each day? Are you getting enough for your lean body mass?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast